1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSRS Coincidence that I was hacked..?

Discussion in 'OSRS' started by brisch14, Jan 4, 2019.

1. brisch14

So, I have been playing osrs for quite some time. With bringing in a new baby and a promotion at work, time to dedicate to the game shrank, significantly.

I only use RuneMate and, within it, only use Regal scripts bots. I logged off after a session on Sunday December 23 to prep for the holiday meal and all was well. Logged in Christmas evening to pick up where I left off, and BOOM. Standing at the Edgeville trench, no gear on, and nothing in my inventory.

Went to bank, hoping I just made a mistake with where I logged, and everything was gone. No cash stack, no gear, no potions, nothing. In the course of the couple years I’ve been using this program, never had an issue until this.

600m+ bank and countless time spent now gone.

Be warned.

2. Wet Rag

Wet Rag easily triggered ✌

You know that double xp stream you signed up for?

Yeah that was a phishing link.

3. Gengsta

Gengsta Community Manager

Sorry to hear but this wasn't due to RuneMate.

I am posting below the same information I do every time this topic comes up to help clarify the situation:
    • Are you sure you haven't used an easy to guess username/password combination?
    • Or that you're using a combination that has been leaked from an external database breach?
    • Or you downloaded a gold generator or similar program?
    • Clicked on any suspicious URLs from Twitch streams etc?
    There is NO way RuneMate would hack you for your gold/items. We would not risk our entire reputation over the small amount of gold/items any user would have.
    Furthermore, from the moment you enter your username/password combination in to the client, the information is immediately encrypted and impossible for anyone to read and use.
    Bot Authors do not have access to your username or password. The only person who does is YOU.
    There have been many accusations of this over the years and almost every single time without fail the user has later determined the fault occurred elsewhere.
    Individual bots do not have access to credentials of any sort. In addition, every line of every version of every bot is reviewed by a proprietary scanner for malicious code and manually by a Staff member.
    Regarding your computer, I suggest running a scan using Windows Defender and MalwareBytes and taking any recommended actions.

To summarise and make it extremely clear, RuneMate did not hack you and steal your items.

4. CuppaJava

CuppaJava cuppa.drink(java);

I wish I could see an export of the browser history of people who post these "Ooh Beware RuneMate Spooky". See what people are actually getting phished by. My guess is the FB ads.

5. brisch14

I know there are no such “double exp” events in RuneScape, so that doesn’t make sense.

And you can have at my history. All you’ll find is my back office for work, this website, and YouTube.

6. CuppaJava

CuppaJava cuppa.drink(java);

Have you logged into runescape (the website, forums, etc) from a browser whatsoever in the past ~month? Or ONLY the client/RuneMate? Do you use any other 3rd party clients?

7. brisch14

Only the RM client and mobile. Hence why I find it hard to believe it was compromised from another source.

This grind is about to suck seeing as it took a majority of my time to get to where I was.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 5, 2019, Original Post Date: Jan 5, 2019 ---
    Even now, replying to this thread is being done from my cell phone

8. Arbsor18

The RuneMate client afaik doesn't give bot developers access to your RuneScape password and/or bank PIN, the client handles the authentication process.

As pointed out several times above and countless times on these forums; you'll need to look at user-error or elsewhere for the source of this breach, not RuneMate, it is as you put so in the title, a coincidence.

9. beaneaters1

Maybe you used login details that were found in a database somewhere. But yeah the posibility of Runemate stealing your credentials is possible even though they deny it. That's the risk of submitting your data somewhere ;-) 2 step authentication prevents this.

breakjaw likes this.
  10. plateddesigns

Considering you are on runemate, you've probably been on other forums / botsites where your credentials were leaked, then they cross - ref'd with your acc

11. greekboy229