1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What a mistake runemate has been

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Mind, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Mind

Yikes I guess this is pretty unsafe I should of expected it lmao but I figured at least my account would be secure from leaking the details. This is the only change i've made in ten years on my account and only time it's been hijacked having my items sold and money traded. Clearly runemate is either incapable of protecting your details or sells them. Can't tell which pretty disappointed was even spending money and still have credits left was going to likely become a supporter too was happy with services until this. My mistake hopefully others can read this and be warned before making the mistake I did. These guys are untrustworthy I can't see any other factor that had my account become compromised.

2. CoonzyBoi

ive been using them for ages and this has never happened, have you bought services somewhere else? that could be the only way i could think that yout lost your stuff, runemate runs of scripts bots so no one is on your account at the time. sorry to hear what happened though that does suck

3. American Express

American Express RuneMate Staff

Sorry to hear that you were hacked, but I can assure you it wasn't due to RuneMate or Bot Authors.

I am posting below the same information I do every time this topic comes up to help clarify the situation:

• Are you sure you haven't used an easy to guess username/password combination?
    • Or that you're using a combination that has been leaked from an external database breach?
    • Or you downloaded a gold generator or similar program?
    • Clicked on any suspicious URLs from Twitch streams etc?

There is NO way RuneMate would hack you for your gold/items. We would not risk our entire reputation over the small amount of gold/items any user would have.

Furthermore, from the moment you enter your username/password combination in to the client, the information is immediately encrypted and impossible for anyone to read and use.

Bot Authors do not have access to your username or password. The only person who does is YOU.

There have been many accusations of this over the years and almost every single time without fail the user has later determined the fault occurred elsewhere.

Individual bots do not have access to credentials of any sort. In addition, every line of every version of every bot is reviewed by a proprietary scanner for malicious code and manually by a Staff member.

Regarding your computer, I suggest running a scan using Windows Defender and Malware Bytes and taking any recommended actions.

To summarise and make it extremely clear, RuneMate did not hack you and steal your items.

Mind likes this.
  4. Mind

It's super weird then maybe I got unlucky if runemate is totally innoncent here. I didnt have a pin which was my fault I used to but it got removed and I never bothered to put it back. My account to my knowledge is secured I ran total av and secured my computer as well as have never shared account details or partook in anything risky minus runemate. this is the only illlegit thing ive ever done in 15 years on RS lol. Oh well I appreicate you actually responding and inquiring with me. I'm going to just keep reviewing my computer and account security.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 9, 2022, Original Post Date: Apr 9, 2022 ---
    Honestly I was frustrated and needed a target to blame you where the only change Ive made in 15 years so it made sense to blame you. Upon review there's no logical reason for you to compermise my account and I'm optimistic enough that youd share if youve had a data breach. Weirdly nothing Im aware of has been leaked so I still cant determine a why this happened just take steps to prevent it from happening again.

UncleMorpheus and CuppaJava like this.
  5. RSMasterGuard

Mind, for your main I always recommend MFA as even if they have your password and username they can't get into your account. If they somehow trick MFA, and your email and password are leaked via another website you still have your last line of defense which is your bank pin and you can use that time to at least try and recover your account before they clean it out.

Security isn't so much about being super secure as it is being annoying enough to hack that they rob you last.

6. generalsensei

I know a person who has 3+ maxed accounts + several other alts that uses runemate for half of his accounts' life and has never been hacked or mugged.

7. ggggggg1

8. cheekybreeky69

you must have some sort of phisher on your device. 2FA would have prevented this robbery

abcman123 likes this.