1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best places to learn how to code a basic bot?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by HyperHacks18, Sep 19, 2017.

1. HyperHacks18

Hello Runemate....

Today, I started to focus my skills in runescape bot development but haven't found any good places to learn from. Runemates API does look good but that doesn't show me how to select an area or coordinate to select a region where i want the bot to farm or go from rock to rock mining iron gold or any other ore. That is just an example.

I want to give back to this community and actually release free bots for slayer, divination, tree cutting, agility and all the other skills. These bots will probably be changed a lot to prevent any detection system from picking the script bot up due to many people using the script bot. This will take place every few weeks and managed by myself.

My name is Brad, I am an 18 year old network engineer. My skills are working mainly with performance and security normally with websites or game servers. IP's and other networking related services.

I am from the UK born and raised. That's about it.

If you could help me in any way at all even just a suggestion that would be greatly appreciated.

-Hyper​

cas249 likes this.
  2. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Try to download some opensource bots from the botstore.

3. Jaakkol

Jaakkol Fire caper

I can't help you at all, but new bot writers are always welcome. I'm sure that bot authors on here can help you out. :)

You could try to find tutorials on Tutorials & Resources

4. Viko20

I wrote my first bot following this video guide from Snufalufugus. Can recommend; it was a good way to understand the concept of how a treebot works and some basic api functions.

From there on it's just about digging through the tutorials section and the API to find the things you need. Goodluck writing your bots :). It will take some time and experimenting before you'll get to writing complex bots but Rome wasn't build in a day.

#4 Viko20, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. HyperHacks18

Do you know anyone that i could ask or speak via discord with?

6. Jaakkol

Jaakkol Fire caper

@Party @Snufalufugus as example if they are not busy.

7. HyperHacks18

Do you know any of their socials?

8. Snufalufugus

Join the slack.

9. alonzo morin

I wanna know how to write botttttssss :D

#9 alonzo morin, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  10. Qosmiof2

Qosmiof2 I've been called a god before.

runemate.slack.com

11. alonzo morin

I'd be nice if I could actually log into it

12. awesome123man

awesome123man Go check out new bots and give helpful feedback.

13. HyperHacks18

14. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

15. Daniel

Are you a network engineer as in you already finished the career and have the degree? If so, I'm convinced you would have taken at least 2 or 3 programming classes.

All you need is to know how to program. If you do, then just read the documentation of the RuneMate API and you're ready to make bots. You won't find a tutorial on "how to write a bot that switches from iron ore to gold ore and later to runite ore."

You've mentioned, "how to select an area", by which I assume you mean how to create one as well as checking if the player is inside it. For starters you got a Area.Rectangular class. One of constructors takes two parameters, two Coordinates, from which a rectangle is constructed. Coordinates, according to the API docs, are the way to represent a coordinate (thanks self-explanatory names) in the game.
    After that, the Area.Rectangular class provides a method called contains(), which receives a Locatable.
    According do the docs, a Player, extends Actor which implements Locatable. So you can pass your own player to this method, or other things that implement Locatable, and know if it's inside the area.

I have not written one single RuneMate bot and I can conclude this just from reading the documentation. All you need to know is how to program and basic Java. No need for tutorials that teach you how to do some specific X thing which in the long run might actually hurt you.

So pick a book or start an online course. I'm a fan of the latter. There are plenty of online resources to learn how to program.

16. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

"Knowing how to program" is ridiculously oversimplified term.
    Also the API doesnt have very comprehensive documentation so that wouldnt be the best place to look out for guidance.
    And there are a few open source bots on the bot store and numerous resources and tutorials in the section i've linked one comment above.

17. Daniel

Ok, understanding of how conditions and loops work. Knowing how inheritance and maybe generics work in Java. Then some data structures for example dynamic arrays or maps.

Now you've got all the tools to write a bot, what you need now is practice, a lot of practice. As I stated above you're not gonna find a tutorial to do X then Y and then Z. That's something you'd have to build yourself.

Linking to the tutorials and resources section isn't the best idea either, for someone who hasn't ever written a single line of code, that person is only going to find himself either copy pasting, or doing exactly the same thing always and not creating anything new (e.g. iron powerminer, willow powerchopper, etc) . That's why I recommended a course to learn the basics of programming.

18. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

I've linked that because there are guides which specifically state that you need experience in relevant languages and paradigms.