1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Efficiency and new query calls

Discussion in 'Developer Support' started by generalsensei, Jul 10, 2021.

1. generalsensei

Hey guys im noticing whenever I poll for enemies to attack in my fighter bot I am having substantial stuttering and lag during the new query. The query in question is as follows, and makes sure enemies found are within my defined area constraints.

Npc cow = Npcs.newQuery().names(Pattern.compile("Cow")).actions("Attack").visible().reachable().within(StoredVariables.CowAreaA, StoredVariables.CowAreaB, StoredVariables.CowAreaC).filter(x -> x != null && x.getHealthGauge() == null && x.getTarget() == null && x.getPosition() != Players.getLocal().getPosition()).results().nearest(bot.StoredVariables.DistanceAlgorithm);

Is there a more efficient way to write such a query, maybe I don't need as many null checks?

CuppaJava likes this.
  2. dahnae

I'm guessing .visible() is what is causing most of the lag

3. generalsensei

Do you suggest maybe I use a radius around the players location instead?

4. dahnae

.nearest() will already return the nearest npc anyways, but yes, checking only around the players position could improve the performance, but might not be necessary

5. Dark sage

Dark sage Misfits

.isReachable can be cpu heavy

6. CuppaJava

CuppaJava cuppa.drink(java);

Null checking too much is never really an issue as it's so quick

Honestly I'd just recommend running the line repeatedly, taking out a chunk from it each time and see which removal causes a dramatic speedup. But yeah it's probably the visibility or reachability. Or maybe your sort algorithm depending on what it is.