1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to upgrade my security any suggestions?.

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by sashakoda2711, Mar 1, 2021.

1. sashakoda2711

ahoy guys ,
    I've been on a-bit of a hiatus , had to disable my authenticator to log in as I lost my old phone , the day after disabling , my account had been hijacked , I'm not really fussed about the items lost , I dumped most my cash into skills anyways, although I am concerned they tried to purchase 79 dollars worth of bonds .

I ran a scan on something like 140,000 files between the OSRS client , runemate and runelite , nothing came up , no allowed threats either .

Since this event I've changed the passwords , re activated authenticator and tried to start a bank pin (for the second time now )

Is there anything else anyone suggests to add an extra layer of security or other files I should scan?
    I'm thinking it should be impossible for them to get back onto the account now , unless they can access my emails as well .

cheers fellas.

2. American Express

American Express RuneMate Staff

Check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if your email address(es) are listed on known data breaches. If they are, I suggest you change your passwords for any accounts you created using those email addresses.

sashakoda2711 likes this.
  3. sashakoda2711

thanks mate I appreciate the advice , no breaches apparently , I also completed a complete scan on everything on my computer , nothing there , just got unlucky , shouldn't be able to happen again now I imagine
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 2, 2021, Original Post Date: Mar 2, 2021 ---
    maybe just one more question if you dont mind , how do i delete my jagex and runemate caches ? does this happened automatically when you uninstall the programs

4. American Express

No it doesn't, see more here:

How to clear your cache

I've never followed the above, rather I've deleted:

C:\.jagex_cache_32
    C:\Users\USERNAME\.jagex_cache_32
    C:\Users\USERNAME\jagexcache
    C:\Users\USERNAME\random.dat
    C:\Users\USERNAME\jagexappletviewer.preferences
    C:\Users\USERNAME\jagex_cl_oldschool_LIVE.dat
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Jagex

I think that's everything

5. CuppaJava

CuppaJava cuppa.drink(java);

Out of curiosity, why do you delete those other cache files instead? I've always recommended the instructions that you linked when people are having issues and it's seemed usually fine, but I've never looked at those other cache files. Just wondering if I should be mentioning them as well/instead.

6. American Express

There's no particular reason other than I've always done it, so always will haha!

I know there's some people out there who think that the cache can be flagged or used to help with chain bans, but that's all speculation only; my theory is that there's no harm in deleting the cache anyway, so no reason not to delete it.

I'll update the FAQ to include how to delete those files as people may overlook them. I also seem to recall @Savior had a .bat file somewhere to do this, though I could be wrong.

CuppaJava likes this.