1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Linux worth the time?

Discussion in 'Client & Site Support' started by Yuuki Asuna, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Yuuki Asuna

I know Linux uses way less resources than Windows, but is it worth it? As in will RuneMate work worse/crash a lot in Linux? I remember trying it a few months ago and it wasn't that good. A lot of ppl here seem to have problems setting up RuneMate w/ Linux so im just wondering.

2. American Express

American Express RuneMate Staff

Tbh, if you're not looking to use Linux as your full time OS, don't bother using it for just RuneMate.

3. Yuuki Asuna

It's for my dedicated server. I've also bought 2 computers off Kijiji (sorta like Craigslist) that are only going to be used for botting. I won't be doing anything else on it so idc abt the OS :)

4. itskd

itskd The Masked Man

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

5. Yuuki Asuna

lol. thanks for the insight but i meant the GNU+Linux, I guess. So, you know if its worth it or naw?

6. itskd

itskd The Masked Man

It's absolutely worth it, but only if you know what you're doing. If not, I would recommend just using something minimal like tinyxp.

Are you running your bots in virtual machines or are you just running it normally on your host computer, with low ram?

7. Yuuki Asuna

The 2 PCs I bought have an i5 2300 and 16gb of ram. How many bots will I be able to run on it when using Linux(+GNU obv) compared to windows?
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 23, 2017, Original Post Date: Feb 23, 2017 ---
    also lol. http://i.imgur.com/ajnhW6W.png

8. itskd

itskd The Masked Man

It's actually a quote from Richard Stallman. Anyways, with those specs you should just use whatever is most comfortable for you (you can easily run at least 7 bots each). However, if you are running a virtual machine for each bot, I would recommend going with a lightweight linux distro with a minimal desktop environment.

9. Yuuki Asuna

no, no virtual machines for each bot. no point in doing that ;p

10. itskd

itskd The Masked Man

There actually is a good reason for doing that. No shared resources or traces between bots.