1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolved RAM Allocation by Default

Discussion in 'Developer Support' started by creativeself, Nov 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. creativeself

How much RAM is allocated to the client by default?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by kneckter, Jan 9, 2016
  3. kneckter

You might have figured this out but other people probably want to know. Since this is a JVM there isn't a default allocated amount of memory. A JVM will use as much or as little RAM as it needs. You can control the min and max heap using the java flags -Xms###$ and -Xmx###$ where the # symbol is the amount of RAM and $ is k, m, or g for kilobyte, megabyte, or gigabyte.

Example of the command:
    java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx1024m RuneMate.jar

This sets the min heap to 512 MBs and the max to 1024 MBs. You do not need to set either or could set one and still run the client. The Jagex client runs with a max heap of 384 MBs (at least on my system it does) but they do not have all the extra anti-ban code running.

You can read more in the java help or on stackoverflow: What are the Xms and Xmx parameters when starting JVMs?

Edit: Forgot to add that the client will still use more than the max heap that is set if it requires it but will try to stick around the settings.

#2 kneckter, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    creativeself and Savior like this.
  4. moneyblades

on my pc I generally need 1gb ram/client on average Its actually not too bad