1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starting Development

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by DrewChrist, Oct 13, 2015.

1. DrewChrist

I really want to start developing bots for RuneMate. The question I have is how much Java do I really need to know to start? I ask this because I've heard that not every aspect of Java is implemented when making bots. With that said, if I work through the Java Beginner's Guide for JDK 8 that was released by Oracle, will I know enough to develop well or am I missing out on a lot? I do know that I'll have to read and understand the RM api, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

2. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

That guide is a good one and more than sufficient to get the basics down. I'd say get a couple chapters in, look at RuneMate's API, and then work on a bot while you continue with the guide. It's a lot easier to stay motivated when you're working towards a goal. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 13, 2015, Original Post Date: Oct 13, 2015 ---
    Also join Dev Chat. Atmosphere has a big impact on performance.

3. krib

Things to start with/must-have if you wish to look into additional resources based on the below 'buzz words'.

Java Classes
    Java Objects
    Java Control Flow Statements (if-then, if-then-else, switch and you have your for and while loops as-well)
    Java Variables
    Java Booleans

Looking into and trying your best to understand the above, then looking at a OpenSource mining/woodcutting script bot will allow you to conceptualize the idea a lot better.

Good luck in your learning endeavors!

Derk likes this.
  4. Mikaelz

I recently downloaded that pdf and will give it a serious go. I studied C# at college and I heard they have many similarities.

krib likes this.