1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial TreeBot example

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by Qosmiof2, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Qosmiof2

Qosmiof2 I've been called a god before.

#1 Qosmiof2, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Driftson and Firefoxes like this.
  2. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

You really shouldn't create new instances in failureTask and successTask. Think about it, this will lead into multiple new objects per second depending on the complexity of the bot.
    Also there are already subclasses of TreeTask that you should use.
    And the visualization of the tree in the README is a bit off.

Edit: All in all this example is a bit too small in order for new developers to understand the advantage of TreeBot, both the theoretical and practical way.

Firefoxes likes this.
  3. Qosmiof2

You are right. Ill fix it right now.

Firefoxes likes this.
  4. Firefoxes

Advantages could be understood from Exia's tutorial. I need a starting point, and this example looks like exactly what i need. Thanks a lot!

Qosmiof2 likes this.
  5. Qosmiof2

Updated and fixed. I expanded the script bot.

Firefoxes likes this.
  6. Exia

Thanks for making this. I'm going to use it as my example for balancing trees. Also I think there is a bit cleaner way to build the tree using lambda functions that doesn't require as many files. I think it's the perfect size for a springboard example just to get author's feet wet.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 26, 2016, Original Post Date: Nov 26, 2016 ---
    Also, I forked your repo and I'm gonna commit some stuff later today: An example using enums and one asing anonymous classes. I think I'm also going to restructure the folders a bit.

Firefoxes and Qosmiof2 like this.
  7. Mad

Mad

When is successTask() and failureTask() executed? Doesn't say anywhere in the code

Edit: nvm read the api docs, makes sense, but this isn't really much different than the node framework with parent / child relationships.

8. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

The difference is that the TreeBot framework allows an easier setup of a balanced binary tree, which is far more efficient than the TaskBot system.

9. Exia

I added an example implementation using enums to define the branches and leaves. Hopefully @Qosmiof2 will pull them into his repo soon, if not, feel free to check out my fork.

Qosmiof2 likes this.
  10. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Having task instances in enums? really?

11. Qosmiof2

Didn't really check what you did just pulled it. Ill check them later.

Exia likes this.
  12. Exia

Yes, with a little bit of helper code, each file is only about 30-40 lines of code for this simple example. For static trees (ones that will never have any nodes swapped based on the game type or anything else) it works very well and is cleanly readable. Check it out now that it was pulled into the repo :)

13. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Mind that when a user runs multiple bots that use these tasks, there may be intereference if the classes have any fields to cache game objects.

14. Exia

I thought RM used different VMs for each bot instance, which is how the API is static in the first place.

15. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

No runemate uses one jvm. When making a static api call, the corresponding bot instance is looked up using the thread as an identifier, that's why you can only call most api methods on the bot's thread, or any thread associated with it.

16. Exia

I think that since all of the calls are going to end up being to the API in the end, they will originate from the caller's thread id like normal. It's really just storing a reference to the enum's task, and if you look at the example, it's a very simple one that doesn't store any data in the Task objects at all. The given example would work as intended, and it will work for very simple tree structures; I can see that you would be correct about more complex bots if they are trying to have persistent storage. I'm working on a second example in the "dynamic" directory that works entirely different and will be for complex bots. If you have an example, it would be great if you could fork that repo and add it too :)

17. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

I am not concerned about the threads, I am concerned about the tasks being static.

Ideally your bot would be optimized to only access the game data once per loop, so if a branch looks for a certain item to interact with, the following leaf should use that very instance of the branch task, instead of querying for the item a second time. In order to achieve this, you would need to pass the reference to the leaf somehow, and it's very easy to mess it up, resulting in all your running bot instances using the same spriteitem later on.

Static/enums should only be used for truly constant data, that behaves constantly the same and can't be changed during runtime.

18. Driftson

Driftson Shooting up KFC's