1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolved What to do for a slow computer?

Discussion in 'Client & Site Support' started by IMB0tting, Oct 6, 2015.

1. IMB0tting

Hey guys! Im currently using a 2010 macbook pro, all stock, so 250 gig storage, 4 gigs memory, crappy graphics card. My runemate runs painfully slow and laggy on this laptop (no surprise really), it also gets SUPER hot, as soon as i start the program, it jumps 40 degrees higher than normal, and keeps climbing steadily. What would i upgrage in my laptop to make it run better? I know very little about computers, so would i increase the memory? I can increase it to 16 gigs for like 100$, but i dont know if this is the fix. solid-state hard drive? I apologize for my ignorance, any suggestions help! thanks!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by IMB0tting, Oct 6, 2015
  3. YubiBotter

Your best bet would be to first determine what is getting hot, though I'm pretty confident it's going to be the CPU.
    Simple software such as Speccy (made by Piriform) can be used to find hardware temperatures.

Given that we're talking about a laptop here, I doubt there's much you can do, especially in terms of cooling.

loli, IMB0tting and Microsoft like this.
  4. IMB0tting

I think it is the cpu, im not sure what else would be how, but again i know very little. i use smc fan control to speed up my fan and it also tells me the temperature. Right now im running a woodcutter, and surfing the web, and doing homework, and am running at 80 degrees celcius (sitting on my lap). is this too hot? Im mostly concerned with the speed and performance of my mac.

5. YubiBotter

80 degrees celcius is too much, even for a desktop that's quite an uncomfortable temperature.
    The real problem is that having your hardware running at that temperature for extended periods of time will cause the components to decay over time, eventually dying.

I don't believe you have any CPU upgrade options available to you, typically all you can do to a Mac is change storage hardware and RAM.

IMB0tting likes this.
  6. IMB0tting

bummer. so im mostly hopeless? I have had some friends saying putting in a solid state hard drive inside and taking out my disk drive would help. Would that do anything in this case? Or the memory? Thanks again for all the help!

7. neck

If its your CPU getting hot, using an SSD isn't going to change anything...

8. IMB0tting

would it help my computer run faster? also my storage is full... so i wouldnt mind... :)

9. YubiBotter

Yeah unfortunately you haven't any options.
    An SSD would improve bandwidth, which unfortunately wouldn't help your predicament.
    While 4GB is cutting tolerances tight, I don't believe RAM is your issue, it seems to me your processor is just not capable. High temperatures actually harm your performance too, modern technology throttles your performance in order to reduce temperatures.

10. neck

It wouldn't help with your botting but SSDs have much faster transfer rates than a normal HDD (so games and programs on the SSD would load faster, and if you put your operating system on the SSD your computer would boot faster)

If you're looking for a more "responsive" feel for general browsing and such I'd recommend an SSD. If you're looking to bot I'd recommend building a desktop. You could build one for fairly cheap that would run bots very well. @YubiBotter helps people with picking out hardware all the time iirc. I'd help too if I wasn't a lazy sack of shit.

11. Echolocke

Have no fear, the techie is here.

First off, I could probably easily troubleshoot your situation on Skype, however I'll offer a few suggestions first.

#1 If possible restore your computer to it's original at purchase state using some type or restore.
    #2 If the former is not possible, try doing the best manual clean up possible, which entails a lot of minor steps.
    1. Delete any extra files
    2. Run basic cleaning applications - CCleaner, Defraggler for HDD or Trim for SSDs.
    3. Run Malwarebytes
    4. Make adjustments to the priorities in the system, putting RuneMate on high priority.
    5. Keep your graphics set to minimum in RuneScape
    6. Close all other applications while it's running.​
    #3 If the former both fail, upgrade by purchasing a new computer.

Note: I can also put together a PC Hardware build for a price if you give me one, or some options of pre-built pcs or laptops.

12. IMB0tting

haha awesome. no worries. How much do you think i would be looking at? College student here...

13. neck

Depends on what parts you want to get for the computer. If you mainly want to use it for botting the two most important things will be your CPU and RAM.

Here is YubiBotter's thread where you can post some basic info and he will recommend you some good parts within your budget.

edit: and don't be afraid to build your own computer. As long as you follow instructions (plenty of tutorials online) it is pretty much like putting big, expensive, electronic legos together and it will save you lots of money compared to buying a pre-built PC.

14. Echolocke

I'm not sure if you missed my post, but here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.39 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($77.85 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.00 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($47.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Raidmax ATX-502WBG ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.75 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($41.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($93.75 @ OutletPC)
    Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: Adesso MKB-125B Wired Slim Keyboard ($60.74 @ Mac Mall)
    Mouse: Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse ($21.00 @ Adorama)
    Headphones: Creative Labs Creative Fatal1ty Headset ($27.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $916.28
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-06 16:13 EDT-0400

This includes EVERYTHING

I'm assuming you'd need the
    Operating System -> Therefore you need the Optical Drive
    Montior
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Headphones

Without them it drops down to about 500ish

15. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Off-topic, but how are you able to run that build with a 430 Watt PSU??

loli likes this.
  16. YubiBotter

Rough estimate that would struggle to pull more than 200w.
    The 750 Ti is particularly energy efficient, though I would never recommend it because it's just not very powerful, which would more than likely end up being replaced later on.

And even if it were for a display output, it's unnecessary because the i5 has Intel HD Graphics.

17. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

I was under the impression that 760's and below (so also the 750 Ti) were absolute power ravaging beasts.

18. vipertrek79

You're running a mbp, of course it's going to get hot. Those things are notorious for getting hotter than AMD Cpus. Need to get an actual desktop, or buy a laptop that you can actually upgrade parts in down the road, if you must have a laptop.

19. YubiBotter

Nah, though imo anything *50 (Nvidia nomenclature) and below is a bad purchase as they are typically just too underpowered to be particularly useful in any situation aside from a Home Theater PC.

Just to be sure, did you get that impression from Nvidia's website? The reason they state such high power requirements is because it allows them to cover themselves from reckless customers, for example buying a no-name PSU at 600 watts will possibly crap the bed at anything near half load.

20. Echolocke

Wattage is an oversell. 700watts is powerful enough for an i7 overclocked with SLI 980TI's (but it's cutting it very close)

On Topic: I'd also be curious to see how a chromebook deals with RuneMate

21. vipertrek79

I have a build VERY similar to that, except I have 24GB RAM, and a gtx 970. I have no problems :p
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 6, 2015, Original Post Date: Oct 6, 2015 ---
    You don't need thermal paste, the stock one is fine. Nor do you need an optical drive if you have a flash drive, you can install windows from that :)