1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question What's the best way to learn Javascript?

Discussion in 'Developer Support' started by blood1000, Jan 16, 2022.

1. blood1000

I tried learning to bot sometime ago, and managed to make some barely functional bots in the early days in the RSbot era however I never fully understood the basics, there are guides on here but they are old and I need to learn the basics before attempting to write any simple scripts bots.

Am I best taking an evening class at college or online? Any recommendations which will go absolute back to basics?

2. ricespud

You need to learn Java, not JavaScript.

Java is to JavaScript as Car is to Carpet.

Check out https://java-programming.mooc.fi/ as a starting point for learning Java.

Derk likes this.
  3. blood1000

Well...I did once think a Carpenter fitted carpets lol, thank you, I will go through the tutorials.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 16, 2022, Original Post Date: Jan 16, 2022 ---
    This is a little disappointing because it's very well structured however the courses have been replaced since 2019 on NetBeans, so I'm unable to get the right projects for the course to follow. Any other suggestions? I'm going to create my own scripts bots as they have put them on-screen but just makes it harder to follow when I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

#3 blood1000, Jan 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  4. ricespud

Not sure what you mean about being "replaced since 2019 on NetBeans" - did you follow these instructions NetBeans installation - MOOC.fi ?

This course will teach you the basics of OOP and Java syntax that you can later use in writing RM bots.

5. jehaz22

well there are several approaches to learning JavaScript, and the optimal one will depend on your learning style, tastes, and goals. Here are some pointers to help you get started with JavaScript from scratch:
    Online courses: There are several high-quality online courses available that teach the fundamentals of JavaScript. Codecademy,Scaler, Udemy, Coursera, and edX are other prominent platforms. With video lectures, interactive activities, and quizzes, these courses give an organised learning experience.
    Books: There are several JavaScript books available that give a complete and in-depth introduction to the language. Popular works include David Flanagan's "JavaScript: The Ultimate Handbook," Marijn Haverbeke's "Eloquent JavaScript," and Jon Duckett's "JavaScript with JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Programming."
    Tutorials: There are several free online tutorials available to assist you in getting started with JavaScript. W3Schools, Mozilla Developer Network, and JavaScript.info are some prominent websites. You may follow along with these tutorials since they include step-by-step directions and examples.
    It actually depends on your choices and availability whether you should attend an evening class at college or online. An evening session can give a structured learning environment with an instructor to help you, whilst online courses allow more flexibility and can be taken at your own speed. Finally, the most essential thing is to select and stay with a learning strategy that works for you.