1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there so few bot developers for this client?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Zyzz, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Zyzz

I'm just wondering, since I see a lot of requests, and a decent amount of cookie cutter/must have bots not in existence yet. Is it not profitable enough for developers? Is the client very new? I guess this is more of a debate question, like what brings a lot of developers to a forum? :p

2. Snufalufugus

It sounds like you're referring to bot developers, and not client developers.

There are quite a few bot developers, but almost all of them are like myself where RuneMate is a low priority in their lives. There will be more bots in time, I've seen at least a dozen new people attempting to make bots in the past week.

Zyzz likes this.
  3. staffix

staffix Superior All Knowing Person!

As @Snufalufugus, and the forums "bot writing guides" kinda died out, so it's harder for new people to learn it..
    instead of having a step by step guide, to make a basic profile - and then expand on it by yourself.

4. Wet Rag

Wet Rag easily triggered ✌

Please make a bot request and I'll reply if I can do it or not, thank you.

5. awesome123man

awesome123man Go check out new bots and give helpful feedback.

If Squidl can do it... :thinking_face:

Wazzy and A Savage like this.
  6. Wet Rag

Wet Rag easily triggered ✌

Ffs

awesome123man likes this.
  7. Jux7apose

Yea, I looked @ the guide section and if I take my time I'm sure I can learn how to make a bot that cuts trees or something simple. However, other clients like ***bot and **bot (Redacted to prevent post removal) have video tutorials, but even they are old. I personally find videos easier to follow than text posts, but not a lot of video makers go into detail.

I'd like to think that I can watch videos for the other bot clients and still code for Runemate b/c I'm sure some aspects are the same, ie seeing what the characters current animation is, but I'm not positive. Also, other clients' developer tools/features are pretty nice and easy to use. Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but the Runemate's "Official" developer kit on the Bot Store fails to update in real time which sucks, same with the visual dev kit

8. Serene

Serene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I've written for a few sites, and I'd go so far as to say RuneMate's atmosphere is easily the most noob-friendly (apart from long-standing sites such as pban). Writing from client to client doesn't actually req much change in a lot of areas, watching the videos from other sites isn't a bad idea. Also if you re-open/close panels in the toolkit, it will update for you in real time.

Jux7apose likes this.
  9. Jux7apose

Yea I figured that out, but nonetheless would love if it updated in real time b/c sometimes I'm not quick enough, ya feel?

Visual Dev kit is kind of nicer cause it only keeps track of what you select, but it too doesn't update in real time, but it sure does use a lot of cpu usage if I remember correctly

EDIT: Just read on ***bot that someone developed a script bot for Demonic Gorillas. I'd suppose it'd be really hard here on Runemate with the existing dev kit as it doesnt update in realtime, so you'd have to try to stay alive as well as make sure you get the right id changes, etc.

Keep in mind I personally haven't developed a script bot, yet. I'm just going based on things I heard or saw (tutorials). If it were possible, I'd just have open the variables I need to code (prayer of gorilla) and start capturing my screen via OBS and fight the gorillas as usual. Go back, watch the video, and code. Just my thought process assuming variables are updating in realtime

#9 Jux7apose, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. staffix

- Yeah, it might be possible to go learn it from other sides too (or just google), but it would be atleast 10x easier if there was a complete guide (like the ones that was started, and never finished). It also ensures that it's kept "in house", rather than having issues when you try use it with RM.

11. Swych

Hey there, I just thought I'd give my 2 cents on this. Like it's been said before, developing is a rather low priority for a lot of the casual developers. For others it's different as they use this as a second income, however that's not the case for most.

I agree with you in regards to the tutorials being somewhat out of date, it's rather hard to follow an out of date tutorials especially because there are no more 'LoopingBot' or 'LoopingScript' bots being permitted on the store and there not being at TreeBot tutorials. I've been contemplating making one for a little while, just to nail the basics and give some new developers a chance to see what it's like to use the framework and how well it performs etc.

As for the Demonic Gorillas it's possible to be coded using our framework, yes. You can change the loop delay which can increase or decrease the response time of the bot. Mind you, I've literally just watched about 3 minutes of a video on them as I don't play OSRS but from what I've gathered it would be possible. With more and more experience you can code more efficient and smarter bots it's just a question of using the resources around you.

12. Gengsta

Gengsta Community Manager

The main reason we still don't have all these "cookie cutter" bots on the store is because (recently) most of the "new developers" here try to create private "cursed energy" bots instead of actually creating something which will both help them learn and give the community "what we need".

And also because most other bot authors stopped reading the "bot requests" subforum because it's filled with Slayer & Dungeoneering requests.
    ( @Party / @kazemanie pls resolve )

Slex and staffix like this.
  13. staffix

I agree, in my case - i'm from honorbuddy, and most of that coding is/was C# - and this is completely different, and i started reading the guides.. untill i found out they were outdated x)

+1 if you decide to make a new guide.

Gengsta likes this.
  14. American Express

American Express RuneMate Staff

Can't 'cause it ain't posted as an issue. Just a question.

15. iiVynirs

Do bot authors not like dungeoneering/slayer or is it just too hard/long to make?

16. staffix

U just had to take it there..

anyways, it takes along time..
    basically everybody wants it, and nobody wants to pay for it.

17. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

For both of those skills you need to collect a huge amount of data compared to other kinds of bots, and in some cases you can't just straight up gather the data unless you are in very special and rare circumstances ingame (for example you can't reliably collect data of a dg puzzle unless you have a dungeon with that puzzle, or you can't for example test the the strikewyrm handler for slayer you just wrote unless they are actually your task). Thats what's really frustrating and a turn-off for every author.

18. goody599

Just wanna input my 2 cents, from what it sounds is that, people are trying to learn to code from scratch with little to no knowledge, with guides that show the function instead of describing and going in depth into it and describing its limits and full potential. What im trying to say is that, instead of making new guides or directing them to other websites, direct them to a proper coding website to where they can learn how to properly code instead of copy and pasting which tells them nothing.

urbex07 likes this.
  19. Swych

When I've got some time I'll put together a super simple bot like a cooker or something and go through that piece by piece. It will use a TreeBot framework and have a GUI for food selection. It will be a video more than likely so people can just follow along and code with me.

20. Mmaaikel

Probably because many people who can create a bot also have a job or school which means they only have a little bit of free time.

yea Quinnn is da man

Jux7apose likes this.