1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hardware service

Discussion in 'Programming & Hardware' started by YubiBotter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. srpronto

@YubiBotter And what for a Mini ITX build? Do you know any case for a build that won't get either a GPU nor a a HDD? I consider getting only a M.2 SSD, but i'm also not sure if thats possible.

2. YubiBotter

I know a case called the CoolerMaster Elite 100, but I don't know if you can get those anymore.
    I've found this as well which tbh I quite like:
    Silverstone LC19B-R Black Slim Aluminum MicroATX Case with 120W Fanless PSU & Card Reader

Also on your post you said the CPU was an i3-3350P, but there is no i3 of that type, there is an i5 though:
    Intel® Core™ i5-3350P Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz) Specifications

Honestly there doesn't seem to be much in the way of cases that are that small, generally I think people go for something like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Dual...0?ie=UTF8&qid=1483560298&sr=8-10&keywords=nuc
    Unfortunately the system doesn't have RAM with it, and your RAM won't work because it wants DDR4 SODIMM (DDR4 Laptop memory basically).
    It does however have the M.2 slot for an SSD.

3. creativeself

Hi, my dad is looking for a laptop for himself. He mostly does business related work on it (lol), using excel, word etc. He is looking for a fast and efficient machine for browsing the web and processing documents and spreadsheets. His budget is ZAR 6000 (He is living in South Africa), which is just under £400. Would appreciate suggestions, thanks!

4. YubiBotter

Would you be able to suggest a website that you know can ship to his location? I'm not very well versed with Africa's retailers.

5. creativeself

6. YubiBotter

creativeself likes this.
  7. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Yo idk if you are into cases, but i am looking for a new one. When i built my pc i chose the Fractal Design Define S, because it has no hard drive cages, and i dont need any. I wanted to save space that way, although i didnt notice the Define S has mounts for custom cooling loops instead, and is really large regardless.
    So right now I am looking for a somewhat smaller case.
    I have an ATX mobo, and a 280mm radiator i would like to mount in the front. Like i said, i dont need HDD cages, so it could be a bit shorter than normal, i'm only worried about a graphics card i might buy in the future, as i dont really want to buy a mini one with one fan or so.

Edit: added link to album, also, i should mention that i dont care too much about the look, just plain is beautiful ;)

Define S is too large for my taste

#487 Savior, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. YubiBotter

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a case that's a worthwhile size difference that can support your ATX motherboard.
    I had considered looking at a HTPC case as it would greatly reduce the height but the price premium and honestly some of them aren't even painted.

9. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Ok gotcha, I will just stick to the Define S then, saves me time

10. YubiBotter

Bit of a shame because those pictures really demonstrate the wasted space.
    Sorry I couldn't be of help :p

11. creativeself

Could you recommend me a PC build please in ZAR, South African currency.
    What Im looking for:
    - Gaming (Mostly DotA2, Runescape, Osu!)
    - Must be fast, booting running processes etc
    - Capable of running VM (Windows/Mac; Arch Linux would be my operating system)
    - Potentially doing some video editing (could you specify the part that I can upgrade/downgrade for this one)
    My budget is: ZAR 15,000-20,000

12. YubiBotter

CPU: takealot.com - 6,650
    Cooler: takealot.com - 329
    Mobo: takealot.com - 2,095
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 - 1,815
    Storage: takealot.com - 3,499
    GPU: takealot.com - 3,145
    PSU: takealot.com - 999
    Case: http://www.takealot.com/bitfenix-nova-black-window-atx-mid-tower/PLID41295933 - 659
    Total: 19,191
    If you would like to drop down the prices abit, you could look into swapping the CPU for an i5-7600k (http://www.takealot.com/intel-i5-76...neration-processor-lga1151-no-cp/PLID43968650)
    Or you could look into another SSD, I specifically picked that M.2 drive because of the speed, up to 900mb/s write and up to 2500mb/s read.

You can probably tell that I put more of the budget into the CPU side as opposed to the GPU, this is due to the VMs and video editing.
    As for the GPU, there's not really a need for a higher end card, a 1050 will handle DOTA2 maxed out at around 100fps.

13. BigGates

BigGates Noticeably F.A.T.

With a budget like that an i5-7600k is a much better option you would get very identical frames, and much better bang for the buck.

Also this is a good option to look into for the price as well.

takealot.com
    I personally don't prefer AMD GPUS, but when you're looking at upgrades down the line and possible add ons this card is something that would suit you very well and save you some cash.

creativeself likes this.
  14. YubiBotter

An i5 is going to suffer in virtual machine work and video editing, hence the clarification on my post.
    As for the GPU, an RX-460 performs ~20% worse than a 1050 and only costs 15% less, so there's a 5% discrepancy for what it matters.
    The only "add on" that an RX-460 has available to it is Vulkan, but I think we all know that the card will become irrelevant before that catches on.

15. BigGates

BigGates Noticeably F.A.T.

yes, but for video editing he shouldn't have any issues.
    but like I said, I personally don't like AMD cards, but I've used them when going on budget builds for a few of my customers and I've never had many complaints.
    but the i5 would be near perfect for what he is trying to do, and he could save the cash for things he may want. I used to highly recomend the higher grade stuff as I don't have a pc in this house that is anything less then an i7-5930k/5960x
    but for what hes asking for that would work well for a decent chunk of change off his total amount. Plus it's been a minute since release of something and you know as well as I do they are going to release cards and other things are going to go further down in price so a 1050 in my personal opinion isn't the best bang for the buck currently, but on the otherhand the 1050 is still a great card and would be great for the gaming.

but if he was looking to save even more money he could just deal with i7-4790k and save on motherboard pricing and ram pricing.

3% better performance isn't worth $300USD-$500USD or higher.

also i'm not bashing your opinion in anyway and I enjoy seeing some people being helpful, and our opinions are based on what we enjoy as better products I think? lol

16. YubiBotter

I'm entirely open to opinions, assuming they're logical which you are, I've met far too many people who take their opinion as fact.

By no means am I saying an i5 isn't a good option, however I personally would rather have more processing power available for virtual machine work, naturally that benefits video editing as well.
    The i7 costs ~42% more than an i5 with a 42% performance increase in multithreaded workloads, so there's no real loss in cost efficiency.

As for the graphics card I don't believe opinions are relevant to the 1050/460 debate as going by current pricings the 1050 is more cost efficient.

Imo I consider this to be entirely based on what Creative wants, reduced render times or a bit more pocket money.

17. gunjja

Budget:700-900
    Intended use: Botting gaming and school/work (Microsoft and stuff )
    Currency:USD

18. YubiBotter

19. Yuuki Asuna

Can you do one for $500 CAD? My total budget is $1000 but I thought buying 2 pcs is better than 1. I'm ONLY going to be using these for botting. Nothing else. Just botting. Thanks.

20. YubiBotter