1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolved Another and final approach to skip/shift update approval

Discussion in 'Developer Support' started by Savior, Dec 9, 2016.

1. chris121

then we will wait for @Arbiter to respond. I am out of my depths here.

2. red

red

I do not support, malicious things can and probably will be done if this system gets passed.

3. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

One might even debate that point. The more people that have access to pushing bots, the bigger the security risk. People might get hacked, so that people have access to the bot pushing process. And it's harder to manage if security leaks appear to find out who's responsible.

Savior likes this.
  4. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Good point. Also, Arbiter is pretty much never here, Cloud outsourced the approving job to Slash, so he could do other client work i suppose. So atm we have 1 person who actively pushes bots. I would say at least 4-5 are needed for a fluent approval rate, that means we need about 4 more people to approve bots.

5. chris121

doesnt sound good.

6. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Exactly

7. chris121

as a scripter would this be putting alot of stress on you and make you feel less bothered to fix things?

like from your point of view how does it effect you?

8. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

As a bot author and a human being it happens every now and then that a bug slips into my code that i always fix as soon as possible. I usually fix the bot and push a fix within like 30 minutes after noticing the bug. It's incredibly annoying to get bug reports although I already fixed that very bug, while waiting for my update to be approved.

Jhinn likes this.
  9. Graffiti

I understand this 100% from your prespective but what is going to happen when someones scripter account gets hacked or just decides that its a good idea to add in malicious code parts and end up doing really bad stuff? Its not only the scripters reputation which gets killed also runemate as a whole bot for incompetence. I think the only thing what can be done here is recruit more people so updates are pushed more frequently.

10. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

The more people you have to approve updates, the higher the chance that one of those get hacked and malicious code is pushed through

11. Graffiti

so its a dead circle. the more people you have to approve updates, the higher chance that malicious code gets pushed in. and at the same time if you give premium authors free will to push updates with no delay to their scripts bots, also higher change that the code gets pushed in.

Where exactly do you see the solution to this problem then?

12. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Like I said in OT, give selected premium authors the privilege to release updates without having to wait on approval. Premium authors should be trusted enough for this.

13. chris121

If I was the main guy that owned runemate, I would have premium scripts bots for most skills that are rental type scripts bots that would benefit the author + runemate would get its money from clients using their software which already happens. really fucking good scripts bots. I would probably implement this idea of yours savoir, It isn't for us to decide though unfortunately. we have to respect this. only time will tell.

14. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

I'm open to exploring the option to allow more people, namely @Party and @Aidden, to push bots through. I'm, however, not open to considering any code be published without a review process. I've seen too many good people do bad things in my last decade in this scene to gamble the accounts of those who trusted me with them.

15. mew

mew

Is this a reference to RSBuddy? o_O

16. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

alright i guess the case is settled. like i said earlier, by letting users push through bots without approval you're always going to have a security risk to take. However if that's not an option, i suppose we can't really blame the executives for that decision.

17. Jonesy

Just more people who can push updates will help hugely with getting bots out quickly. Just get a few more trusted people to approve bots and the bots improve hugely, as updates could be pushed asap

mew likes this.
  18. JJordan2

Maybe I'm missing something but any bot that isn't using TCP/UDP or making HTTP(S) calls should be fine security wise and it's not hard to automatically look for those calls in bytecode/source and if it is using that functionality (say for dynamic signatures or w/e) just have it be manually cleared by a human.

#38 JJordan2, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  19. Fire

A bot author could add a hidden feature that runs at a specific time and date, that makes bots withdraw all their items from the bank and trade them to the bot author's account.

Code review is a must.

20. Jonesy

Could they just make any bot running on runemate not be able to make such calls surely that is possible. Bots do not need to make HTTP calls, unless they have online stats which many don't. Removing this ability will allow scripts bots to be updated anytime, and people will not need to fear getting hacked/leaked.