1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolved 'could not connect to the server.'

Discussion in 'Client & Site Support' started by Jimy798, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Cloud

Cloud Engineer

It's not a hassle, somehow you ended up with an extra slash at the end this time causing it to show an error again xD.
    Remember that once you load it correctly from command prompt I need you to try and log in while the command prompt is still open and send me a screenshot.

2. Jimy798

Omg sorry haha...
    I did it right this time!

Here's what happened when I tried to log in.
    upload_2015-9-1_19-17-41.png
    upload_2015-9-1_19-18-14.png

3. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

Very enlightening! Looks like we've found the issue. Here's a StackExchange discussion about it. The tl;dr is that it's likely malware or remnants of one. Please read the discussion for ideas on how to solve it, but here are my suggestions in order of preference.
    1. Reformat PC. With Windows 10 recently released it's a great time to make the jump.
    2. Try to repair your PC using Microsoft Security Essentials (reported to work in the discussion).
    As a sidenote, it may be a good idea to first uninstall ALL Java versions you have installed on your computer via "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows and then install the latest (currently Java 8 x64 Update 60).

4. Jimy798

The malware seems to be doing a fair bit...
    after spending a while working out why the 'Background Intelligence Transfer Service' wasn't working out which essentially prevented my computer from looking for updates, I'm updating my windows now...
    Something was also preventing my windows defender from starting, but I got it up and running and I am performing a full scan simultaneously...
    I'll let you know the results, but this feels promising.

Thanks for all your help Arbiter and Cloud, much appreciated. :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 2, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 2, 2015 ---
    So after installing 120 important updates, but not upgrading to Windows 10 I tried again.

And... It worked!

Thank you guys for your persistence and helpfulness! You guys rock!

Resolved!!!

5. DSbotter

I am having a similar issue but i tried what you all recommended. First I uninstalled all my various java programs and reinstalled the latest versions. I did a malware scan and scanned for issues with microsoft security essentials then i pulled up cmd and typed "java -jar C:\Users\Student\Desktop\Runemate.jar it opened the file as expected I typed in my username and password and got the error "could not connect to the server" Here is a screenshot of my cmd.
    DSbotter.png
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 29, 2015, Original Post Date: Sep 29, 2015 ---
    My apologies I made this post just a bit too quick and was able to resolve the issue on my own.
    However if somebody else may be having the issue "unrecognized windows sockets error: 10106: create" here is how to fix it. Type "cmd" into your start menu and right click the cmd icon and select run as admin. You then type three words in to cmd "netsh winsock reset" with out the quotations and then restart your computer when prompted to do so and the issue should be fixxed

6. Microsoft

Microsoft Ex-Staff

Thanks for sharing the solution with us, I'll be sure to add this to my problem solver ;)
    Don't worry, you'll be given full credit :D