1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion More requirements to become a Bot Author

Discussion in 'Client & Site Suggestions' started by max4186, Jun 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max4186

I am unsure if this will be a popular suggestion or not but I thought I may as well post it anyways. At the moment, Bot Authors get an extra 100 hours on their account free of charge for contributing to the community. I think that is the only benefit they get, other than the green badge.

Wouldn't it make sense to implement more restrictions on what it takes to get those main benefits so people with 10 posts can't release a super simple bot just to get them, and then disappear with 0 updates to their bot. Maybe a requirement of 100 posts and 2-3 updates issued?

Discussion pls.

2. Jhinn

- Arbiter

3. fluttar

it'd get abused just as much as the current system. post count is also a terrible idea, it'd just make people clutter actual discussion

4. max4186

I mean it'll get to the point where more people click onto the benefits and will pay people $5 to make a bot that opens doors, just to get the 100 hours. Then they will have to do something about it but it'll be too late imo.

5. Jhinn

Trust me, it won't change :p

6. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Does it hurt or devalue you if someone with 10 posts releases a simple bot?

7. max4186

Yes, it does. People are getting free hours, when others have to pay for them by releasing a bot and not continuing to provide to the community, hence my point of a 2-5 update requirement before reaping the benefits.

8. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

It won't be too late, a bot can be gone from the bot store within a blink of any eye, but there is no reason to remove a working bot, even if it's just an averate tutorial powerminer.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Jun 11, 2017 ---
    They don't just get the hours like that, they are contributing to the community by developing releasing a bot. Nothing hinders you in doing the same.

9. max4186

With the ability to either pay somebody a very small amount of money, to as I said, release a bot that literally could open 1 bridge in Lumbridge Castle. It would be cheaper to pay somebody in the long run than pay for the hours!

10. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

It's not that the executives would let through a bot that only opens a door you know... And I doubt bot authors sell themselves out for $5 to give someone else the code of their work.

Qosmiof2, Aaron Priest and qverkk like this.
  11. Cloud

Cloud Engineer

It's not going to happen.

Qosmiof2 and Led like this.
  12. Aria

100 hours is next to nothing for someone who plans to use RM to farm. I also released my first bot with less than 10 forum posts - I don't want people to have to make random shitposts or fulfill arbitrary requirements that aren't related to programming in order to release a bot.
    You also shouldn't have suggested any changes to the bot author system, given that you're not a bot author yourself.

EvilCabbage likes this.
  13. EvilCabbage

thread cleaned.

14. max4186

Let me post my reply to this post again, as EvilCabbage deleted all posts he never agreed with. Your post is stupid Aria, if you believe that to suggest something, you need to be apart of it then you really need to get a clue. That's like saying we can't suggest changes or new ideas to the client, because we aren't apart of the Executive team.

15. Party

Party Client Developer

Thank you for wording that better.

16. max4186

I'll word it however I want to, if EvilCabbage can write n**gers in the shoutbox and not receive a warning, I should be able to do the same.

EvilCabbage likes this.
  17. EvilCabbage

His main argument is that what you suggest are arbitrary requirements that don't define whether you are qualified for the badge at all. There is no point in adding different requirements that have nothing to do with coding skills. Besides, Cloud won't let through these mythical door opening bots you describe. You are suggesting a terrible solution for a non-issue.

18. max4186

I don't think any of you read my actual post, I never said you need requirements to become a BOT AUTHOR. I wrote that you need to fulfil requirements to have the rewards! For example, issue 2-3 updates to your bot before you receive the 100 hours.

Cloud has already said it's not being implemented or considered, so this thread can be closed as I asked for originally.

19. Party

Party Client Developer

No, you won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.