1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question WebPath, RegionPath and PredefinedPath. When to use?

Discussion in 'Developer Support' started by sheel, Dec 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sheel

I've noticed atleast 3 different methods of navigation - WebPath, RegionPath and PredefinedPath.
    What are the best situations for using each of these? And what are some good conventions to follow when writing navigation code?

2. Qosmiof2

Qosmiof2 I've been called a god before.

Web path - long, obtacle-full paths (covers obstacles, teleportation etc.)
    RegionPaths - region paths xD (covers walking)
    BresehnamPath - straight lines, short distances (covers walking)
    PredefinedPath - never.

3. Snufalufugus

Predefined path can traverse anywhere you define it to, incredibly reliable, but less randomized and the least flexible

Regionpath can traverse anywhere inside your current region (104x104) as long as there aren't obstacles in the way

Web can traverse anywhere that it supports (almost anywhere), including going past common obstacles like doors.

You should join the slack
    Join Developer Chat | RuneMate

4. sheel

So can I assume then that WebPath is probably a good general solution to everything?
    Would it have the same performance as a BresehnamPath for a short distance? (Ex: walking from door to door in a Dungeoneering room)

5. Snufalufugus

I don't think web supports anything dungeoneering since it's instanced.

6. sheel

I meant simply covering the small distance required to walk to the other end of a room. I could have separate logic for dealing with unlocking/opening doors.

7. Qosmiof2

Qosmiof2 I've been called a god before.

Webpath takes longer to generate.

8. sheel

So what happens if I use WebPath to traverse to a coordinate that's not "walkable"? For example, if there's a tree on my destination coordinate. Would WebPath just try to navigate as close to it as possible or would it return a null path? I wanted to have a WebPath walk to a specfic range of coordinates (it'd choose one randomly) but some of them may be unwalkable.

9. awesome123man

awesome123man Go check out new bots and give helpful feedback.

I'm not sure exactly, but i would say it would fail... Try to use areas :) I believe it can build to them even if some of the coordinates contained aren't reachable. BTW (Breseham is fastest to be generated but only good for short distances or if the Defualt Web fails... Region is a very good one and is fast and generally paths like a normal person... Web is slow and can sometimes be funny, but is the best way to get to a far away destination.