1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there so few bot developers for this client?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Zyzz, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Serene

Serene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

We direct them to other sites because other sites can better focus on teaching them general coding. If they're trying to start coding from scratch, I think that should be a cut off point for any tutorial here. Tutorials on how to write a bot shouldn't have to teach people how to write the basics of that programming language. You're talking about something that usually takes ~a semesters worth of time to learn in a structured classroom (just for the very basic things) and also encompassing how to write a bot. If someone who has never coded in Java wants to learn how to write bots and they see that the language is something they're unfamiliar with, they should seek extra resources to teach them the basics of that and not expect that from some place like here

For those wanting a place to start

2. iiVynirs

I'm just asking because I remember a few years ago there were some dungeoneering bots. People are willing to pay for it, so I thought that somebody would be willing to make one. As you said, everyone wants one. And I'm just curious, haven't played rs in a few years.

Thank you, this is the reply that I was looking for.

3. Wet Rag

Wet Rag easily triggered ✌

Nano Dungeoneering

4. Jux7apose

I will love you for ever and ever. I didn't even know they weren't allowing looping scripts bots, so I'm guessing most tutorials are outofdate?

Also, I did see a post on TreeBot and it was labeled as a tutorial if I'm not mistaken, but there were no guidelines how to use it, unless it's an actual Java reference(?)

5. Serene

Serene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

LoopingBot is a good starting point. Afaik, LoopingBots aren't disallowed on the store. TreeBot is another structure of setting up a bot, proxi's tutorial is a good one to follow for that.

6. Yuuki Asuna

they are.

7. Snufalufugus

Looping bots are definitely still allowed on the store, @Squidl can confirm.

Serene likes this.
  8. Serene

Serene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Must be new, I know of a couple who still have some on the store.

9. Yuuki Asuna

oh wow. ill try doing loopbot and ill see ;P

10. Annointed

My first bot was a LoopingBot and it was denied. I was told to use TreeBot. So it must be accepted only by certain devs?

Yuuki Asuna likes this.
  11. Serene

Serene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Possibly. Not a bad idea though, TreeBot is what you should focus on getting toward. But learning with LoopingBot isn't bad, just polish that bot into a better structure

12. Jux7apose

Tutorial - EmbeddableUI & TreeBot Tutorial/Reference

Am i crazy or there is no actual tutorial, unless the .zip contains the tutorial

13. Serene

Serene ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The .zip is the tutorial, if you look through it you can work out how to implement an embeddable ui. Its not supposed to be a step by step, it's supposed to be a guide/reference

#33 Serene, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  14. Jux7apose

Ah okay, I didn't realize that, I thought there was an actual tutorial I was missing. Thank you

15. Gengsta

Gengsta Community Manager

@Arbiter has stated that there is nothing wrong with LoopingBots and they shouldn't be denied for the sole factor that they are written with LoopingBot.

Swych likes this.
  16. Swych

Just woke up and read that, I was under the impression that they weren't. Thanks for clearing it up boss

17. Aria

it was both of those for me
    cookie cutter scripts bots are also boring as fuck, I'd rather work on something exciting like adding anti-pking to my CE bot
    it's fucking hilarious when my bots instakill a pker who just hopped worlds

18. Swych

You've got a cursed bot that kills cursed bot killers? The circle is complete.

19. Aria

fight fire with fire

I found that pking attracted way too much attention to my bots, though, so I disabled that feature. It's not like I gain much from pking anyway, the average pker carries less than 100k in gear, at most 200k if they're wearing a ring.

20. urbex07

urbex07 that went well

While many of the tutorials are outdated there's a good amount of open source bots on the store that can show you the implementations of most rs tasks. They're really helpful for learning the runemate API, which is really the only part of bot development that isn't best learned from by existing tutorials on the internet.

#40 urbex07, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Jux7apose likes this.