1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resolved Alt account was just hacked and RuneMate is the only suspect

Discussion in 'Client & Site Support' started by quietess, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qosmiof2

Qosmiof2 I've been called a god before.

I have said something similar... in a way... kinda xD

2. Exia

It's a good thing he didn't catch the bitcoin miner embedded in the client.

Qosmiof2 likes this.
  3. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

As much as I enjoy that extended troll, I think it'd be best not to confuse the OP. There's no bitcoin miner. :p

4. moneyblades

I can guarantee it was not runemate, I posted a thread a few weeks back, that unfortunately not many people had read, That websites that were powered by vBulletin had a security breech and your information could be stolen. It is likely that you had registered on a website that was using the vBulletin platform with the same credentials as runesacpe therefor leaving your account vulnerable. I recommend scanning your computer,changing all passwords and usernames (be sure to use a mix of uppercase, lowercase, number, and sumbols for a strong password) and enabling two step authentication on your runescape account.

5. quietess

I've discovered how my account was hijacked, and I've edited the OP to explain how it happened, and to say that I'm sorry.

creativeself and Qosmiof2 like this.
  6. Qosmiof2

Qosmiof2 I've been called a god before.

Very nice that you edited, apologized and found the real cause. And your friend? Beat the shit out of him. He has to be taught a lesson.

7. moneyblades

Thanks for the apology and posting it, on the other hand I'm sorry to hear your 'friend' hacked it, he's not a real friend...Push him into a cement mixer :)

8. creativeself

Suitable avatar to thread content ratio

9. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

>mfw

[​IMG]

10. thejaru

Despite that fact that RuneMate is clearly not to blame, the way all of you reacted to this was so inconsiderate and honestly ridiculous; especially towards a newer member. He clearly stated he never followed any phishing links. Had he done so, he even stated it would be irrelevant due to the fact that a bank pin was present on his alternate account. He's also made it clear that the only place he provided a bank pin would be to the RuneMate client. I know he has now discovered that it was NOT in fact RuneMate at all, but the way that he was treated was so appalling. He even had to reply and say that he is not accusing anyone of anything, and is simply hoping that the matter be looked into, as quoted directly from one of his first posts. None of you had to come at him in such an aggressive manner, or condescending manner, or just straight up rude manner. Ridiculous.

11. SlashnHax

I think the main issue was that he stated "RuneMate is the only suspect", when he's lent out the account in the past. Social engineering is much easier and prevalent than hacking these days. If he was to say "RuneMate is a suspect" then maybe the community wouldn't act so defensive.

I agree that some of the posts weren't constructive or even slightly helpful, but there was also a fair amount of good advice in the thread, and @Exia hit the nail on the head with his post. I wouldn't say that he was treated rudely overall, but just by a few select people/posts. He started the thread pointing fingers, it's only reasonable to expect some backlash.

12. vipertrek79

most of the community here are dicks, you better get used to it.

13. moneyblades

Not necessarily, IMO The community here is a lot less toxic that other communities, I quite like the RM community :)

Arbiter likes this.
  14. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Ja, agree. I have seen only one member who was toxic to the community, the rest of those dicks are new members who leave again after a week or so, which is good.

15. moneyblades

Oh lord are you referring to who I think you are...? And from what I've seen Most of the members that have been here for a while are pretty chill

Savior likes this.
  16. Insomniac

Are you referring to yourself?
    [​IMG]

17. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

No the other one

18. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

*Another one.

19. Savior

Savior Java Warlord