1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request Bot Beta mode

Discussion in 'Client & Site Suggestions' started by Exia, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Party

Party Client Developer

Different situation bud. That said, I'd hope Arbi would trust myself and Aidden enough to push sans-review, but I would understand if he didn't allow that to happen regardless of whether or not he trusted enough... If that sentence made any sense?

2. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Although I'm not questioning your or Aidden's integrity, I must admit I feel slightly unsettled when a fellow bot author would review my code. Just purely because of the ability to look into something that shouldn't be leaked or stolen. Obviously the more people you expose to validating code, the higher the risk of that happening.

I'm fine with waiting 2+ days for a push to happen. I can both understand the position of Slashnhax (& whoever else pushes from time to time), and I personally don't think anything urgent can ever happen that needs a fix within 2 days. Obviously errors caused by the author's code can appear, but I'd say that mostly the author's fault, rather than executives not pushing fast enough.

This beta concept, although it might speed up the process of testing your bot, doesn't have much impact in the time to push bots. It only opens vulnerabilities that might put RuneMate in a bad spotlight. Honestly, the cons outweigh the pro's.

3. Party

Party Client Developer

Nobody said anything myself or Aidden reviewing code, and the topic of conversation has moved away from "beta mode" since it's already been rejected. And no one is blaming Slash, just saying the process is too time consuming.

4. Yuuki Asuna

What happened w ith Ghost?

5. American Express

American Express RuneMate Staff

Gh0st

6. Quantum

Ask Arbiter haha, he'll remember ;)

7. American Express

I think what it comes down to is that Arbiter/Cloud do not want to open themselves up to added risks unnecessarily. Personally, I see that as a benefit rather than a drawback.

For me, someone who doesn't have significant knowledge of bot development, knowing there are a small number of people (Arbiter, Cloud & SlashnHax if I am correct) reviewing ALL bot author submissions makes me feel safer knowing that they are ensuring no malicious code gets through to the end user.

Opening this up to more people, regardless of their forum status/reputation only increases the chance of something going wrong. I am not insinuating that those suggested in this thread are not trust worthy, but rather the more people with access, the more likely something can go wrong.

Furthermore, allowing a beta mode, while beneficial in some scenarios, again increases the risk that something could go wrong. In an "industry" where reputation is everything I can definitely see why keeping this risk as low as possible is the right decision.

I would never use a bot that has a proven (not rumoured) history of being unsafe/not trustworthy, regardless of time since incident, and I would guarantee there are a significant number of people in my position too.

I would rather bot's take longer to be updated (the review process) than risk using something malicious.

just my 2c

Derk and awesome123man like this.
  8. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

I understood that differently then, my bad.

But I do think Slash is to blame, even though the accusation might be completely invalid. He's been the main driving force behind pushing bots, so if there's a significant delay, it's (almost always) caused by him. Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, although some perceive it as that. Personally I don't mind waiting for a push, even if it takes a week. The protection for the end-users goes first, so keeping the review team as small as possible will only benefit that.

People have to understand as well that Slash does more than just pushing bots on RuneMate. Keeping bots up to date, writing core functionality and expanding API, for example. Not to mention that he probably has a pretty busy IRL schedule as well. :D

9. Cloud

Cloud Engineer

@SlashnHax has a very demanding role at RuneMate that extends further than any of you are aware. He is not the only one responsible for bot pushes although we do request that he does them the majority of the time. Please remember back to when I was in charge, at one point there was a solid week between pushes.

Party likes this.
  10. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Oh no, I'm not complaining at all! I'm saying that there are people that are impatient for bot pushes, and that people disregard the effort slash puts into the bot in general. He's not just existent to push our bots; he does more than that.

Even when you used to handle all pushes, I didn't mind waiting. Obviously if something was broken, it was on my end and it would be idiotic to blame you for not pushing fast enough. That still goes now, even though the time has crimped between pushes, I still hear people complaining about it, and I think that's not fair to slash, you and arbi that occasionally pushes as well.

11. Aidden

Aidden Author of MaxiBots

He's also a uni student so he has that to worry about to. He's been in his exam period and had assignments for the last few weeks so that's why afaik that pushes have been taking longer lately.

12. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

No doubt, I don't even need a reason. Being human is enough reason to take your time pushing bots. Which I assume he is. :^)

13. American Express

Holidays soon m8, no more excuses for any delays. :rolleyes:

Runemate is love, Runemate is life.

14. chris121

haha this is so true