1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hardware service

Discussion in 'Programming & Hardware' started by YubiBotter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Aidden

Aidden Author of MaxiBots

Hmm i think i'll build it with the suggested mobo and my current cpu. And then possibly upgrade to the 3770k if required later on. Thanks for the help :) Gonna call a local store and see if they have the parts in stock as its $100+ for shipping from newegg and pccasegear seemed to be missing some of the parts :/

2. YubiBotter

Ouch, goodluck.
    If you need any further help, you know where to find me :p

3. Fontkodo

Yubi helped me with some general PC build questions, is definitely knowledgeable about PC hardware and seems enthusiastic. I'd recommend anyone who needs help with their builds to post here.

YubiBotter likes this.
  4. Aidden

@YubiBotter That second motherboard you suggested is mATX and my case is ATX, so i'm guessing it won't fit? :/

5. YubiBotter

It will fit, mATX is a smaller form-factor as opposed to ATX.
    mATX = Mini-ATX, so it's just smaller and will still fit the standard mounting system in your case.

6. Aidden

I think it said micro. And what do you think of this gpu? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sapphire...16?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f474cfde4
    Also do gpu's have different sized slots they fit in or is it like one size fits all? That motherboard is apparently for the average user and when i looked at alternatives more geared towards gaming the price increased to $300+

#26 Aidden, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  7. YubiBotter

Yeah it is Micro, I misremembered M-ATX and M-ITX, they're still compatible :)
    It's not a bad GPU, but I know the XFX has a great cooler, particularly in terms of sound levels.
    GPU's nowadays are all PCI-E 16x, though they can run in PCI-E 8x/4x in SLI/Crossfire configurations, it's a very well established standard. So as long as the card is modern, it will definitely fit in the board.

Yeah it is geared for an average user, "gaming" boards won't affect performance, they just come with an overclocking chipset and a revamped power delivery for overclocking. It might also come with some extra PCI-E lanes, though that's not necessary to be honest.

8. Aidden

I read a review on the XFX and they said that although it was extremely quite and had great performance, it would sometimes overheat and te frequency would drop considerably (to ~300 iirc) until it had cooled enough. Ah i see, good to know. So the motherboard you suggested should be fine even for heavy gaming or heavy botting, it's just not great for overclocking? (which i probably wouldn't be doing anyway)
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 9, 2015, Original Post Date: Mar 9, 2015 ---
    Also, i'm thinking i'm just gonna buy the motherboard for the time being and hopefully the pc will be back online. Then i can have a chance to buy new components as i save. Might just replace the motherboard and then build a whole separate computer :)

9. YubiBotter

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...ble_dissipation_edition_review/9#.VP5erPmsXHU
    I would trust this article, namely because they're large names in the hardware/review scene, plus I've seen other reputable sources back it up :p
    The mobo I picked will be perfectly able for heavy gaming and botting :) It cannot overclock at all, the chipset itself is locked down to prevent people overclocking on a board that is not designed for it.

10. Aidden

Alrighty then, gonna buy the mobo now off ebay as it's almost the same price and free shipping. newegg was $74 shipping just for the mobo -.-

11. YubiBotter

Ouch, Newegg is pretty bad for shipping if you're not in America.
    Good luck :p

12. Geashaw

Do you have any experience with NUC?

I'd like to see a maximum build ^^

13. YubiBotter

I've no experience with NUC's unfortunately, personally I struggle to see a market for them, but I'm sure there's someone who likes them xD
    Maximum build as in maximum budget? PCPartpicker doesn't support a build that high end, so it would end up with a mass of links :p

14. Geashaw

Then perhaps
    • intel based i7 system
    • with loads of ram
    • a nice mobo
    • a (semi) large (and quick) SSD
    • quiet fans
    • no real budget.

15. Philosobyte

@YubiBotter Do you by chance know whether or not Xeons are good for gaming? I know they're mainly used in servers and other parallel work, and don't have much of a graphics component (if at all), but I don't know why they're not used in the mainstream market.

16. YubiBotter

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GCq2f7
    I still tried to be some what gentle on the budget, but it is a very high end build and has great future upgradability.
    The NF-F12 Noctua fans are for the front of the case, as it comes with a rather thick dust filter as well as sound-proofing, as such you'll need high-pressure fans to pull the air through and into the case.
    The NF-S12A Noctua fan is for the rear exhaust, since there's nothing obstructing airflow on the exhaust, it's best to pick this type of fan as it's designed for high air-flow.

Xeons are worse than i5/i7 CPU's for gaming because they aren't designed to have high performance single cores as opposed to the mainstream equivalents, they still perform fine though, it's all about balancing advantages and disadvantages really.
    Intel HD Graphics isn't included on the majority of Xeon skews, mainly because they are often used alongside high-end GPU's for rendering and what not.

17. Eagles13

Eagles13 The only thing Alpha about me is my bots

Just out of interest, why suggest an 8350 over an 8320 when they're exactly the same chip, just clocked differently?

18. YubiBotter

As everyone typically knows, AMD lacks single core performance which for the most part is detrimental to performance in a multitude of scenarios.
    One could argue that an FX-8320 can be overclocked to an FX-8350's clock, however that's extra expenditure as you'll need an 990FX chipset motherboard, possibly a cooler if it requires significant voltage increases, and luck.
    Due to the binning process of CPU's, it's entirely possible that your processor will straight up refuse to overclock at all, I'd know this as I had this issue with my Phenom II X6 1100T.

19. Philosobyte

20. Geashaw

Woah, that's pretty high priced xD. I'd say too much for Processor and Video card ^^
    What makes the intel 8 core 3GHz better than let's say, Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz?