1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hardware service

Discussion in 'Programming & Hardware' started by YubiBotter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. YubiBotter

Depends what you want from the drive, Intel is the best outright, however they have firmware which bricks the SSD after it has withstood a certain amount of read/write cycles. This bricking is deliberate as it allows you to read from the drive (secure your data before it "dies") but not to write to it.

Both will last a long while, theoretically the Adata will last longer due to the aforementioned feature, but both are great for performance (make sure you plug them into SATAIII 6gb/s).
    Both of them are MLC (Multi-level Cell flash) which is the best for longevity, and conveniently is great for performance as well, so it's essentially the best choice.
    The only SSD I would recommend you stay away from are the old Agility ones and the Samsung 840 Evo as it's having some serious issues as of late.

2. Philosobyte

I read somewhere that drives which have capacities of 120GB instead of 128GB or 240 instead of 256, etc. should be avoided. I forgot why, but I think it had something to do with TLC and lower longevity or something.

3. YubiBotter

TLC is subject to more failures simply due to the nature of it, but I wouldn't be concerned about that to be quite honest.
    Especially when you consider some SSD's withstand even up to 1 Petabyte (1024 Terabytes) of transfer cycles:
    http://techreport.com/review/26523/...eriment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte/3

4. Aidden

Aidden Author of MaxiBots

I want it to speed up my system as my current hdd seems to be getting really slow and is quite old. Figured i could use an ssd for os+programs and continue using the old hdd for data until i get a new one
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 2, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 2, 2015 ---
    OH what about this one? http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_1529&products_id=30657
    I've been reading some review for the two i mentioned but they didn't seem very good. I want to spend under $200 for a 200gb+ ssd

5. YubiBotter

That Crucial drive won't have very high write-speeds when you consider it's similar to the MX series Crucial makes, they're only worth getting if you're going for a high capacity drive like 500GB or 1TB.

Imo the SSD's I would recommend are:
    MX100 series from Crucial and the 850 EVO series from Samsung, however I don't recommend the former in your case.
    This is because the MX100 series is for cost-effective performance, meaning for the best performing drive you would need to buy a 512GB drive, which does not fit your budget.
    The 850 EVO on the other hand has 540MB/s read and 520MB/s write on the 256GB capacity model, not to mention that Samsung is essentialy pioneering the SSD market with technology such as RAPID:
    http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review-detail/samsung-850-evo-500gb-ssd-review/6/
    From an already colossal 500MB/s read/write, it can boost up to several gigabytes per second.

Thankfully the 850 EVO drives are free from the issue that is plaguing their predecessor, where the performance would significantly drop (below HDD speeds) if the data isn't accessed for a few weeks.

6. Wizard

Budget: $500
    Intended use: RuneScape botting, Eclipse (Java Program development), Twitch
    Currency: USD

7. YubiBotter

Given your uses, I didn't pick any graphics card and went with onboard graphics, as nothing you do should require a GPU.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WwNmvK

8. Wizard

If I purchased this where can I learn on how to build this?

9. YubiBotter

Guides available on youtube such as LinusTechTips are a great source for PC building videos and what not.
    And if you have any issues or concerns you can add me on Skype for more in-depth help.

10. konchan

Fix this up to make it slightly better please.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/x2LR6h
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 3, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 3, 2015 ---
    Or completely make a new build around 1-1.4k usd.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 3, 2015 ---
    Nvm my nig cuhrode hooked me up.

11. YubiBotter

For future reference, tell me what it's for next time :p
    And assuming you haven't already bought it all, get smaller RAM or don't buy that CPU heatsink, because I can promise you they won't fit as I purchased them years ago and had that exact issue.
    The SSD should be changed as well, since the 840 EVO series have been plagued (and continues to be plagued) by performance degradation.

EvilCabbage likes this.
  12. konchan

Cuhrode changed a lot. I'm using it for a shit load of multitasking, streaming, gaming, ect.

Here's what he ended up on.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QXtfjX

13. YubiBotter

Definitely an improvement, though unless you're overclocking, that choice of motherboard is questionable as it is an overclocking-spec board, but then the cooler isn't really up for overclocking.
    Aside from that, it's all good.

14. konchan

I'm pp
    Ideally in a few months I'll be buying a newer cooler maybe and a few extra fans.

I want this build to be much more open to future improvements compared to my current rushed and economy build that has a few bottle necks to my knowledge.

15. YubiBotter

Well it should be fine either way :p If I recall correctly I trust Cuhrode's builds, used to see him around PB and Xanarum.

16. konchan

Now to wait till Tuesday when it arrives at work. >.>

YubiBotter likes this.
  17. Salvation

Salvation First Bot Author

I got the r9 290x Tri-x which back then was THE best consumer-grade GPU by AMD and got it for only €300 on an auction. However... I recently calculated the costs of it's power consumption compared to Nvidia's Titan X... after one years of daily moderate usage the prices pretty much even out... bummer.

Then I also have an FX8350 which is overclocked to the max with a massive H220 watercooler to keep it cool. Needless to say my build is an overkill build, but I love it.

18. botmagic

Budget:1000$,but it can be less.Main goal is the best performance-price ratio.
    Intended use: RS botting(8+ at the same time)

19. YubiBotter

This is a cost effective system: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YZjpnQ
    While this is a less cost-effective system (albeit a fair bit more powerful): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FPcqJx

With the first build, you could purchase a number of them and run them simultaneously, which will give you more bots than the less cost-effective system.

20. Lnr30

Nonono I am sorry but that is awful, I will post a build in a few minutes which will crush this system.