1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get rid of the fucking cancer

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Exia, Feb 23, 2016.

1. IamN5

LOL, the ad is forcing you to visit the site and bet? just ignore, you do that every day, everytime.

2. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

All other ads are blocked for me. I don't ignore them, I sweep them out swiftly. Unfortunately that doesn't work for RuneMate forum because of before mentioned proxies.

If I think a service or site is good enough, I donate. But I swear to god I will end every ad's life as soon as I see them.

3. Fontkodo

You can add a filter for every cosmetic that links to his site, should be able find the filter and block every instance at once.

Derk likes this.
  4. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Not a bad idea, I'll try that.

5. Exia

Exactly, I would have no problem with it being an ad on the right side of the site, even if it follows as you scroll. The issue I have with this ad is that it is interspersed with the content of the discussion.

6. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Doesnt make it any good.

I fucking hate the ad industry. Everyone is making their product seem super powerful, if not the best product out there.
    Ads are made of pure lies, they are not acvertising for their own product, but rather for the whole industry, they build up an illusion of choice.

Think of this, you drive down a street and see a McDonalds sign/ad on the side. You are "Do I want to have a burger now?".
    But when there are two signs/ads, one for McDonalds, one for Burger King, your question will be "Do I now want a burger from McDonalds, or do I rather want one from Burger King?".
    Or another one, did you notice Playstation and XBox gens are always coming out at the same time? Thats not because they coincidentally need the same amount of time for their product, but rather to build up hype for each other. Just imagine the new XBox was announced today. "Hmm do I want to buy an XBox right now? Do I really need one?". But if a Playstation and XBox are hyped at the same time: "OMG Im so hyped, I still need to decide which one I want to buy, they are both great!"...

Same with Apple and Samsung, Pepsi and Coke, Marlboro and Lucky Strike. Your choice which one you choose doesn't matter in the end, because no matter what you choose, the industry will profit from it, they use it to sell you complete JUNK.
    Furthermore, and what is completely fucked up, is that some people actually make a personality based on the products they consume. "I am only drinking Coke, and I am only eating at McDonalds!", without even recognizing it makes no fucking difference in the end.

I would not have a problem with ads if they were at one platform made for ads, i.e. a site you can lookup different mobile phone producers, if you actually need one.
    My problem with ads is simply that no matter where you go, or what you do, they are thrown at your face and force your brain to remember them, this is manipulation and should be restricted by law.

Also, we must differ between campaigns and ads. A campaign that notificates us how important trees are is far different from an ad thrown in your face for some commercial organization which is collecting donations for trees.
    @IamN5 is apparently having troubles with runeroom, what about this?

#46 Savior, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Derk likes this.
  7. IamN5

Thats the world. Whatever, I stopped advertising for that guy.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 23, 2016, Original Post Date: Feb 23, 2016 ---
    So,I think Arbiter/Cloud could make a rule for it.

8. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

I would like to see a poll on the community's opinion on the matter. While it won't dictate my decision it will definitely influence it. I would appreciate if one of you guys could start the poll, so there isn't an Executive bias. I've obviously been aware of what was happening but didn't care too much. It's really starting to get out of hand and it's particularly annoying that my permission wasn't sought before going forward with this. @Exia @Bertrand

Derk and Exia like this.
  9. Ryza

Who cares? No one forces you to go to their site and aslong as nothing malicious happens then i don't see a problem with it. I checked their website out a week ago and to be fair the guys seemed nice enough and i wasn't pestered into doing anything and was left to it after a bit of friendly banter, the only gripe i have with it is their confusing bullshit policy and slightly confusing advertisement of the free money incentive but hey you know what everything has hyped up over exaggerated advertisements.

IMO if you remove the stick from your ass about them they will fizzle out and die on their own, as they say no such thing as bad advertisement.

10. Exia

It's not about the content of the ad or the quality of the site it's linking to. They could be advertising a cure for cancer and it would still muck up the conversation space. It's the fact that there is non-discussion related material forcibly injected into the conversation. Imagine a forum where every other post is off topic.

Signature space is meant to identify the user who is posting and let them show some personality. I'll say it again: It's just like tattooing "EAT FROSTED FLAKES" on your forehead.

11. Ryza

In theory everyones signature space is random and never in my online eperience has it ever added or took away from the conversation as it has nothing to do with anything you're talking about, the only way i could see a signature being offensive is if this is deemed a website geared towards kids and you have a stretched bluewaffle in your siggy place then yes you should be asked to remove it.

What you're talking about is subjective, if i hate your siggy and think it's an eyesore then what's stopping me making a thread about it? What if i hate the fact you have a donate button in your siggy space?, not that i have a problem with it but it's all subjective but as far as i'd be concerned aslong as it's not offensive to anyone and degrading the site then i don't mind.

12. Exia

This ad thing has actually been going on for a while now. Initially, I didn't care either because only one or two people had it. At the time of posting this thread, there were a ton more and a lot of them were active posters. This lead to nearly every other post having the ad in it.

Take a look at this screen cap:
    [​IMG]

One or two here and there is fine, but 4 posts in a row is when it get's out of hand.

13. Insomniac

Option to disable sigs like @Qosmiof2 suggested would be nice.

14. Qosmiof2

Qosmiof2 I've been called a god before.

I am removing the ad from my sig tho. That dude isnt paying.

15. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

This. As I said in another thread, advertising 3rd party services is strongly abusing the original use of signatures, or this forum in general.
    A donate button for your own service is a completely different thing.

I still want to see some signatures, I really like the idea of them and I shouldn't have to renounce them just so I dont get pissed of by ads.

16. Qosmiof2

At pb you can remove/ hide sig just from a single user. SO you see everyother sig still except his

17. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Okay that would actually be a nice compromise.

18. Insomniac

Imma just vote no to ads and get this shit fucking over with.

19. Qosmiof2

You are advertising DJ Khaled tho

20. Insomniac

That's major key. You should never listen to they.