1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hardware service

Discussion in 'Programming & Hardware' started by YubiBotter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. YubiBotter

Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, Define S ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker
    If you'd like the system to be more capable in terms of gaming you could add either of these:
    Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual Video Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O3G) - PCPartPicker
    Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card (DUAL-GTX1070-O8G) - PCPartPicker

Though just to be clear, you are certainly getting a significant amount of performance with the price bump on the GTX 1070.

2. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

750W is overkill, even if he would upgrade the system with a gtx 970, a 550W would be fine.

3. YubiBotter

The PSU in question is a 0db model so going overkill is the best bet for silence.
    A 1070 system would pull ~370w under full load.
    A 1060 system would pull ~340w under full load.
    This is important when you consider how a PSU is rated, their peak efficiency is roughly 50% of their max output, which means the 1070 is perfect for near max efficiency, the 1060 falls ever so slightly short at 340w (680w).

So the best way to keep things quiet, cool and efficient is to try balance those factors.

4. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Seeing that system reminds me of a system I built a while ago, yesterday my current pc broke and I need to get a new one.

Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - My Custom Build - Torsm's Saved Part List - PCPartPicker Deutschland

I don't play pc games frequently enough to justify buying a video card atm, but I left some space with the PSU as you suggested.

Chose that motherboard because of the 4 chassis fans i want (2 preinstalled + 2 noctuahs).

Also with that cooling setup, do you think I will be able to slightly OC the cpu, considering the fact that I additionally use its integrated gpu?

Also I will use an external hdd to store media for portability, while having a 256gb M.2 ssd for OS and applications.

I am pretty confident with this built, but I recognized you having way more experience could save my ass if it has any flaws.

#404 Savior, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  5. YubiBotter

I see no reason as to why you couldn't have a mild overclock on the CPU, it's more dependent upon the silicon lottery if anything, it may want a ridiculous amount of volts for a marginal OC.
    Using the iGPU will add a couple more watts of power consumption to the CPU but I doubt it would mean too much in terms of reducing OC potential.

The only thing I see that seems questionable is the sound card, with a modern mobo there's almost no reason to use a sound card anymore. And generally speaking it's better to have an external amp anyway, keeps it away from electrical noise from your motherboard and other components.

6. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

My current mobo's sound is terrible, that's why I chose to add one, but then again, my current one is >5 years old.
    I guess i can leave it for now and decide later.
    Thank you for the review!

7. Dylan Turner

Hi @YubiBotter or fellows

Im looking at getting my first desktop (embarressing i know :p ) but with the help of @ricespud i have come up with my starting list.

The main purpose of this build is bang for buck but also pushing decent speed, so not going suuuper cheap but still low budget:

Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker New Zealand

Any advice you can give on my build #1 ?

Also i understand im getting rippe doff in newzealand. woudl you know any international computer part sellers, if not do not worry that still seems cheap to myself!

Kind regards

8. YubiBotter

I was actually going by the assumption you would be purchasing the Z170 in the link you provided, in which case no sound card is necessary.

I always forget how ridiculous the prices are in new zealand.
    Changes:
    RAM: Changes due to clearance concerns, I've had G.Skill memory in the past and their heatspreaders are often large, which is a problem when you buy a larger sized CPU cooler like a Hyper 212 Evo.
    Case: If I'm quite blunt, I've never seen anything made by Deepcool that was worth looking at, let alone owning. However it is your choice between the Deepcool and the Inwin case, personal preference and all.

I would've preferred to change the HDD to a Western Digital Red 1TB drive, after years of Seagate drives and buying a WD Red, I honestly can't go back.
    I would also have preferred to pick another PSU, but the prices are beyond silly.

9. ricespud

Yeah those prices really threw me for a loop. Normally I can glance over and see any glaring ripoffs but not in NZ. Pretty much any case is going to have adequate room and cooling so I always leave that up to preference. I've had the same Antec 1200 for over 5 years. What did you think about the GPU? While I'm personally not a fan of AMD processors, I've always been satisfied with their GPUs. The RX 470 may be a good option, plus there's the added benefit of Freesync down the road. If there's a $100 premium on G-Sync monitors in the US there's no telling how much it would be in NZ o_O

10. YubiBotter

Quite funny, I've always been more of a fan of AMD's CPUs than their GPUs.

After having had looked at the link, that particular GPU isn't in stock apparently. And unfortunately there's no other offers that compete with it price/performance wise, meaning the only other choice is a downgrade.
    I would probably recommend this as a secondary option, it's unfortunate that the 960 is out of stock.
    And for what it's worth, my experience with Gigabyte cards hasn't been a good one, a few years ago I ordered a 780 which was really quite noisy.
    Not only that but mid-benchmark it died and never posted again, it's fortunate because I got a 780 Ti in return but I still avoid them, I prefer ASUS/EVGA cards.

11. ricespud

Gotta love RMA upgrades. After RMA'ing two r9 290s XFX finally decided to send me a brand new in box 8GB r9 390

12. Dylan Turner

13. YubiBotter

I don't really see the point of switching motherboards unless you're going to be overclocking.
    As for the SSD change and HDD removal, that's up to you, depends what you feel is necessary for your storage needs. I personally like at least 500gb to boot off and several terabytes for storage.
    And if I'm perfectly honest, I don't know if I can recommend buying windows at that kind of a price.
    I would personally go for the aforementioned build (Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker New Zealand)

14. Dylan Turner

I plan on either buying a second hand GPU or getting one from overseas for alot cheaper then my country, and also will later install a 2-4TB HDD, also my dad has a 12TB NAS system in our hosue for backup and storage

And i wont be buying windows off this website i work at a computer retailer and will get it discounted. but is there jsut for show.

15. 0liver

Hey, I have this build:

Processor
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Video Card
    AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Manufacturer
    ATI
    Chipset
    AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    Dedicated Memory
    4.0 GB
    Total Memory
    4.0 GB

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7

Can you please tell me if a monitor upgrade to 4k would make sense or not? my local store has an epic offer (only 199 € for 27" 4k monitor from samsung) for one.

and if not, what gpu i would need (do i have to change other stuff than gpu then too? houw much would it cost

thanks a lot

16. YubiBotter

Other than the previous issues I mentioned, I see no other potential problems.

Well it depends on what you play, but generally speaking I would say no, any R9 200 series is not going to be powerful enough to drive a 4k panel at decent graphics quality settings.
    Also idk if you're as picky as me, but I like my monitors to have really nice colours with great colour depth and vibrancy, I can almost guarantee you that the 4k panel you're talking about is a TN panel. A TN panel basically means the colours are very likely to be washed out and dull, with really bad color shifting at angles.

For 4K you kinda want a strong card, so something like a GTX 1070 would be my suggestion, though you should expect a big price premium simply because it is hard to run 4k panels.

17. ricespud

In my opinion 27" is too small for 4K. Most people like 34" and larger. If I were you I would try to get your hands on a refurbed Acer XG270HU 27" 1ms 144HZ WQHD HDMI DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync (Free Sync) Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor Edge-to-Edge Frameless Design, 350 cd/m2 ACM 100,000,000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers-Newegg.com

I got mine for $279 and I love it. Since you have an AMD video card you can take advantage of a feature called Freesync (G-Sync for nVidia). What this does is changes the monitor's refresh rate to however many frames your GPU is rendering in a particular game. For example, in Overwatch (easy to run) I get a solid 120-144 FPS but in say Doom I may get 50-60. Freesync/G-Sync prevents screen tearing when your GPU is unable to render as much FPS as your monitor is refreshing at (generally 60). Yes it's a TN but as long as it's in front of you and not at an angle like a 2nd or 3rd monitor I think it looks great.

18. Dylan Turner

finalising my build, and have decided i am going to order off amazon, sooo much cheaper, and im happy to wait on international shipping and risk paying GST on some of these items.

Amazon.com

any final words, sorry for keep posting, i just dont want to waste my money!

thanks so much in advance!

19. 0liver

thanks a lot that helped me.
    can you link me a hd a monitor that has this deep colours you described please?

20. YubiBotter

More modern TN panels do look better, however after my experience with one, I don't think I can make that trade again.
    I went from IPS to TN and returned the TN panel the day I saw it.

My only concern is CPU cooler clearance with the RAM, the heatspreader on it looks as though the center is tall.
    If the center is tall then it will block the cooler from mounting properly, the Hyper 212 Evo's fan can be moved rather easily but I can't speak for the CM Hyper 612.
    Other than that it looks good.

First I need to know where you live, like US/UK etc.
    That way I can find stores you'll be likely using and get better prices.