1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hardware service

Discussion in 'Programming & Hardware' started by YubiBotter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

Current situation: A multi-purpose machine that has ~20TB of storage (6 drives in WD Red drives) running UnRAID that serves as my NAS and virtualized servers (media, PVR, testbeds, workstation). Currently runs everything 24/7.

Intended goal: Create a separate build decoupling NAS and media needs from daily computing needs. The new build will run 24/7, providing media and running media related server(s) i.e. PVR, torrents, etc. This will allow me to use the current build as a workstation and allow me to turn it off when not in use. I wish for the new build to have a small footprint, both spatially and energy wise. Aesthetics are important to me and a little overkill for the sake of "enthusiasm" is acceptable, but I don't want to be wasteful.

All that being said...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Integrated with Motherboard
    Motherboard: ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Atom C2750 Motherboard ($379.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 8TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: Athena Power AP-U1ATX30A 1U Server Power Supply ($53.95 @ Newegg)
    Other: U-NAS NSC-800 ($225.00)
    Total: $1070.92
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-25 03:04 EDT-0400

From my point of view,

Pros:
    • Achieves the intended goal
    • Beautiful
    Cons:
    • Limited expansion capability
    • Expensive
    I am very open to suggestions, critiques, improvements, ideas to mitigate cons (good external drive enclosures to keep an eye out for, etc.). Thanks in advance!

2. NobleFrenzy

Any ideas on a computer that can handle 10 Runescape windows without lag
    what are the range of prices

3. YubiBotter

Looked at everything and I've not seen anything out of place.
    Had a fairly extensive search for a better PSU but without paying a ridiculous amount I really don't see there being a better option, was hoping to find a more efficient PSU with a lower wattage.

All in all it should be perfectly good for your situation.

Honestly I'm not sure anymore, botting requires a significant amount more power than it did when I started.
    However if you know anyone that can run 10 bots, ask for their CPU model and I will whip up a build for you.

Arbiter likes this.
  4. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

As always, thanks for your expert advice. I mostly wanted to make sure I was making smart choices and not being wasteful.

5. NobleFrenzy

Im able to run 5 bots on an imac and macbook pro without lag

look at my specs
    [​IMG]

#445 NobleFrenzy, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  6. YubiBotter

Generally speaking that would mean you need a CPU ~2x as powerful as your iMac CPU (i5 5575R).
    Unfortunately that means you would need an Extreme Edition CPU which is expensive in itself, then you factor in the motherboard socket upgrade (LGA-2011) and you're paying a lot.

Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core - System Build - PCPartPicker
    ^ Is a pretty barebone setup, it does need a graphics card for a video output though, if you're lucky you'll have any old card laying around, otherwise you'll need to buy a GPU.
    I also didn't pick storage or a case because I don't know if this build is going to be your "main" build for example, where you would want a nice case and a good storage setup.
    Most systems dedicated to botting usually boot off a HDD and that's it.

7. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

Of course I went overkill with it, because I'm a dummy. :p

Final Build:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Integrated with Motherboard
    Motherboard: ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Atom C2750 Motherboard ($379.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Red 8TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan ($19.38 @ OutletPC)
    Case Fan: Noctua NF-S12A PWM 120mm Fan ($19.38 @ OutletPC)
    Other: U-NAS NSC-800 ($225.00)
    Total: $1540.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 20:12 EDT-0400

8. YubiBotter

The PSU change is certainly welcome, it was my only concern with the build last time but for whatever reason I couldn't find another compatible PSU that wasn't overpriced.
    If it's going to be used for virtualization then 32GB may not be overkill considering you'll be running UnRaid as well, it's also great that RAM is ECC considering you'll be running 24/7 with (I assume) important information.

While it is expensive, in theory this should last a considerable amount of time, so I can't see anything wrong with it.

Arbiter likes this.
  9. Infinite Inferno

Infinite Inferno The Pip Collector

Why no SSD?

10. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

Already have one for a cache drive and UnRAID runs off your memory so I don't need a boot drive.

11. nah rife

o damn you're still active. the legend :D

12. YubiBotter

Well this is the only reason I'm here :p

13. nah rife

How's the job hunt been

14. YubiBotter

Rather unsuccessful, my accessible area just sucks for IT work (unless you consider offices).
    I was offered a job 150 miles away from my home lmao.

15. Driftson

Driftson Shooting up KFC's

nvm, just gonna go with skylake, 6600k is almost as good as xeon.

#455 Driftson, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  16. YubiBotter

Well depending which chips you're looking at, there really isn't much difference between the two in the first place.
    The way the product line works is based on yield quality, certain chips are better quality than others, the higher quality yield is used as Xeon chips.
    The lesser the quality of the yield, the further down the product line it is placed in (unless there's higher demand for a lower tier chip like an i3).

Driftson likes this.
  17. creativeself

Looking to build a fast PC for virtualisation. Don't particularly want to go over 1250 british pounds, however if I must, I'd say 1750 is probably limit. I will be running windows alongside arch linux on my PC and will be running VM in windows. I will be doing some gaming, but the main focus is being able to run VM with a few programs in particular CS:GO and Visual Studio

18. YubiBotter

Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core, Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+, Define S ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
    The CPU could be dropped down to a 6700k if you feel a 4c/8t CPU is enough for your VM needs.
    Storage is kinda personal preference imo so change that as you see fit, some people want a lot of storage whereas others don't.

And you may want to refer to the motherboard manual when you install the RAM, to benefit from Quad Channel you will need to install the RAM in a specific configuration.
    This is taken from that motherboard's booklet - You would want the third configuration as you have 4 sticks of RAM.
    [​IMG]

#458 YubiBotter, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  19. Tyrone

Tyrone Darn Hunk

How many rams should I installed if I want to hack a Pentagon?

Savior likes this.
  20. madesire

Hello,

Budget: 700 - 1200 GBP
    Intended use: Gaming, programming, botting

What can you guys offer for me? Build must be powerful and worth every penny.
    Currently, have a laptop:
    Lenovo IdeaPad y510p:

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ / 6M Cache / 2.4 GHz / up to 3.40 GHz
    8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    1TB + cache SSHD 8GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI 4GB (GT 755M 2GBx2)

Not too happy with it, feels like an average laptop, so I need a desktop, that would make me happier. Thanks!