1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hardware service

Discussion in 'Programming & Hardware' started by YubiBotter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Jordannn

Broke college student here.

I need to know which of these builds would be able to run the most bots. But also when i'm on the computer, i would have an instance of solid works and sometimes intellij running. Would I need a graphics card for the amd build since it doesn't come with intel hd graphics? Make any adjustments to it but i would prefer the price to be around 400 (but lower is better). Would I even need a cpu cooler? Thanks in advance.

FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core, Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

And last thing, how does more cores effect how much cpu it takes to run a program? In theory, wouldn't the amd build be able to run a shit ton more clients since it has 4 more cores and a faster clock speed?

#421 Jordannn, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. YubiBotter

Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker Neither build had a motherboard so I had to add one, only did it for the Intel because I believe Intel better suits your needs.

You would need a GPU for the AMD system, this not only adds more cost, but raises power consumption as well (especially considering it's not necessary for your workload).
    Whether or not you need a CPU cooler is up to you, based on your workload I would personally say yes. Solidworks is a heavy program for the CPU and prolonged heat exposure is one of the major factors in silicon degradation (basically your CPU will die faster if exposed to heat for prolonged periods). Of course it still takes a few years for that to affect anything, but I would rather prolong my hardware as long as possible.
    I also have a particular dislike to Intel stock heatsinks, the design is more for aesthetics than performance and it really shows in noise levels and temperatures.

Because AMD and Intel are competitors, they obviously won't share intellectual information and as such it means they use very different designs for their processors.
    Intel has a very firm standing in single core performance, which is often referred to as IPC (Instructions per clock), due to this it means Intel doesn't need a high clock speed to achieve the same or better performance as an AMD chip.
    AMD on the other hand has very poor IPC and as a result have to clock their processors higher to achieve good performance, AMD is also focusing on multiple cores to help achieve better performance.

To give you an idea of the performance margins:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see from the image, any single-core programs you use will greatly benefit from an Intel chip.
    But other tests like Geekbench 3 Multicore and Cinebench (also multicore) show that Intel's 4 cores are still beating 8 of AMD's, this is again because of AMD's poor IPC performance.

TLDR: I would recommend Intel for several reasons, the more prominent being performance, efficiency and convenience (Intel HD Graphics).

3. Jordannn

Thank you for the timely response. Should I be concerned with the compatibility notes at all?

4. YubiBotter

That is actually a good point, I forgot Skylake was DDR4, I didn't really care for DDR4 when it came out because memory bandwidth on DDR3 is still really good.
    Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker
    Changed the memory to one within Skylake's memory spec, the old one should be fine but over a few years it's not worth the risk.

Jordannn likes this.
  5. Yuuki Asuna

1 vCPU core Xeon E5606
    CPU core 2.13GHz
    6GB ECC RAM
    100 SSD Space

How many bots can I run on this? Thanks =)

6. YubiBotter

I suspect no-one could actually answer this question for you without prior knowledge as to how well the architecture performs.
    However what I can tell you is, an E5606 is really quite old as it was released on the first quarter of 2011 and does not support hyperthreading.

This really is a shot in the dark but I'd be surprised if you could run more than 3.

7. Yuuki Asuna

So 2 Wud be fine? :)

8. YubiBotter

Fairly confident that you could run 2, anything past that I would expect to be a bit laggy if not unusable.

9. Yuuki Asuna

Idk the fps is but OMG RuneMate isn't doing shit :/ takes forever for it to do anything.. Is that cuz of the CPU? Orrr what.. Running 1 bot.

10. YubiBotter

Well you should be able to get a rough idea by checking Task Manager.
    Chances are it's probably because of the CPU, it is like 5 years old coming up to 6 years.

11. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Networking card is very important for Spectre, maybe that's the main bottleneck.

12. Yuuki Asuna

Ah :| Damn sucks.. Bought the vps now and rip runescape.. thought it cud do 2 bots maybe even 3 but it cant even do 1.. riiip

13. YubiBotter

Yeah you have to be careful with VPS stuff simply because they're usually outdated machines that people try to make money off.
    I would still double check that your CPU is being properly utilized, if it's not, then you know the CPU is the problem.

Why would a networking card be necessary for botting? Most onboard ethernet solutions are gigabit capable so that's certainly not something I would expect.

14. Yuuki Asuna

lemme check rn. check the task manager right? And the internet speeds are amazing tho. 500mb down up+

15. YubiBotter

Yeah Task Manager should help identify whether or not the CPU is your limiting factor.
    And yeah I would expect exceptional bandwidth on a VPS, I wouldn't be surprised if the VPS in question had two gigabit ethernet ports on the motherboard.

16. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Because Spectre is communicating with the rs client with sockets and such.
    source

17. YubiBotter

Yeah I wouldn't be concerned about that tbh, gigabit ethernet ports are pretty much standard for every mobo.

18. IscriptLoL

19. YubiBotter

While I can't be certain as people have claimed performance hits with recent changes, I personally can't see that APU handling 4 bots smoothly.
    Athlon X4 880K 4.0GHz Quad-Core - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
    Again I can't be certain but I know that CPU is better than the APU in your build, so it would have a better chance, I'm assuming you have a low budget for this otherwise I would recommend an i5 6600k.

Also changed the motherboard because really you want a board with a heatsink on the power delivery, 10 hours of botting isn't nice on your power delivery when there's no heatsinks to cool them.

20. IscriptLoL

Actually I have a potential budget of £1000 but I'd rather not spend so much on a pc that I'm gonna be running a gold farm with. I don't need another high spec pc. I already have my main rig with a i7 5960x and 32gb ram. I know I could run any many bots as I'd like on that one but I plan to play rs off that computer and want to keep that reserved for the main I am botting now.