1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer hardware service

Discussion in 'Programming & Hardware' started by YubiBotter, Mar 2, 2015.

1. YubiBotter

Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core, Radeon RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC, Define S ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom
    You could opt for a more powerful GPU depending on the games you play, however you should know it will be a large price premium from this point onward.
    I also didn't pick a HDD as (imo) it's personal preference to a degree, if you feel you need more storage than 1TB for example, then that's your choice.
    For a HDD I would recommend a Western Digital Red of any size, from personal experience I cannot recommend any drive other than the Red series.

2. madesire

What are other GPU options? Thank you!

#462 madesire, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. YubiBotter

4. Pdestiny

Pdestiny Choose your Destiny

HI

My current pc is very old and can only support to 3 bots running smoothly. So im currently looking for towards investing some money for a new build that will be able to support 10+ clients. Yes i am aware that i can just use VPS but i simply dont want to due to bad experience with them :) The main focus for this Machine is to bot 10+ RS3 accounts Via Runemate client/Gaming.

My budget is about $2000.

Thank you

5. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core, Radeon RX 460 4GB STRIX OC, 500R Black ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Lets see if @YubiBotter agrees. :p

6. Driftson

Driftson Shooting up KFC's

7. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

I have a 6600k and 32gb of ddr3 RAM (yes I know, I'm that special kid that wants DDR3 and Skylake) and I can run 18 instances of OSRS easily. RS3 is a more tricky subject, but I tested and got away with 6 easily. This renders the PC completely useless though, as it freezes like every 2 seconds, but the bots still work fine.

Also, Java utilizes more than 1 thread, so hyperthreading is beneficial. Not to mention, my CPU is a i7, just as you suggested?

Driftson likes this.
  8. Driftson

Driftson Shooting up KFC's

ahh alright, lol @ ddr3

9. Pdestiny

Pdestiny Choose your Destiny

and what do you recommend for a Xeon build?

10. YubiBotter

Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core, Radeon RX 460 4GB NITRO, Define S ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker
    Other than the obvious picks you can see my reasoning for the components below.

There's only a handful of changes I would make;
    First is the watercooler, not really a fan of those unless the client specifically requests it, too many potential faults as opposed to one on an aircooler.

Second change is the memory, pretty much a necessity to get lower profile memory just for the sake of clearance with an aircooler.

Third was the WD Blue drive, I swapped it out for a slightly more costly WD Red but from experience I can say I'd never buy a drive that isn't a WD Red. They're simply too good for what they are, extended warranty + more efficient (runs cooler) + runs quieter and has great performance for a HDD.

Next is the GPU, while I stuck with the same GPU I opted for a different OEM as Sapphire's almost renowned for having arguably the best coolers for AMD cards. It helps that I bought a Sapphire RX 480 Nitro for my brother a few days ago, never seen an aircooled card that quiet and cool before.

Case change is kinda preference, but I don't feel that Corsair case has the quality to necessitate the cost, whereas the Fractal Design case is genuinely built like a bomb shelter (with sound-proofing I might add).

Last change was the PSU, same brand but different model, the G2 series from EVGA is built by Superflower who is well known for high quality PSUs.
    Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core, Radeon RX 460 4GB NITRO, Define S ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

As far as I am concerned, I don't think Xeon builds are even worth considering anymore.
    Back in 2013/2014 the Xeon E3 1230 series was a very compelling offer for those who didn't want to overclock or need integrated graphics.

Apologies for the delayed reply, been pretty busy lately.
    Also I will mention that as far as DDR3 vs DDR4 goes, unless you're producing video content or your workload particularly requires disgusting amounts of memory bandwidth, DDR4 will provide a negligible if not non-existent benefit.
    DDR3 was already easily fast enough for the majority of consumers.

#470 YubiBotter, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    Derk likes this.
  11. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

100% agreed. I just happened to get 32GB of DDR3 RAM only a few weeks until I was forced to move to Skylake, as my motherboard AND CPU both died in a watercooling accident (oops), and I had the chance to submit the CPU and mobo and get a 6600k in return at the store I bought the original parts. You can't really say no to that, but I also didn't want to sell my RAM only a couple of weeks after purchase. So I stumbled upon the Biostar z170, that oddly enough supported the combination of DDR3 and Skylake processors. The board ain't that good, or pretty, but it gets the job done. :p

12. madesire

13. Gengsta

Gengsta Community Manager

You will be fine with that PSU. If you feel like spending a little extra to get some more headroom I'd go for the EVGA Supernova G2 750W.

14. YubiBotter

Yeah 650w is more than enough for a 1070, my GPU is a fair bit more power hungry than a 1070 and I can barely make it hit 500w with the CPU + GPU maxed out on benchmarks.

15. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

So a friend of mine wanted to start streaming and pc gaming and asked me to build a pc.
    Torsm - Saved Part Lists - PCPartPicker Deutschland
    thats what i got for him.
    I got the xeon because with its amount of threads and frequency it should be very good for live encoding the video material.
    The RX 480 so he can run modern games at a nice framerate.
    The rest is pretty much budget, but he still wants a cheaper build than this, do you have any recommendations?

16. YubiBotter

To be honest there's really not much you can do to lower the cost of the build, though I will say the CD drive is a question mark imo.
    I will note that for a pittance less you can get an upgraded chipset over the Gigabyte H97 board. MSI Z97-G43 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Z97-G43) - PCPartPicker Deutschland

I'm sure you agree the lack of SSD is also concerning but we're apparently scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one.
    Also I can vouch for that Sapphire RX480 card, exactly one month ago I bought my brother one and it runs disgustingly cool, it's kinda upsetting because it's almost comparable to my 780 Ti + H100 liquid cooler in terms of temperatures.

It's unfortunate but he will have to come to terms with the fact that you get what you pay for, and streaming + gaming isn't necessarily an easy task.

17. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

Thanks for the review, updated the build with that MSI mobo.
    And I asked him, he wants a cd drive to be on the safe side, so I put a 0815 budget drive in it.
    Yes, the lack of SSD is a big down side of this build. Even a 64gb ssd would be sufficient for OS and a few applications I suppose, I will try to convince him to get one.

EDIT: what SSD would you recommend in this case? I have only experience with a 950 pro, so I can't speak for any other ones.

#477 Savior, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  18. madesire

What do you cthink about i7-7700k? Looks like worth buying better performance and price.

19. srpronto

This is a post i made on Reddit /buildapc, but i didn't get any help. Would you help me or point me out something? I'm not sure if i can get what i want but i had to ask.

This is a build i'm planning to do next summer, when i'm in vacations, so i can get something small and smooth to browse on the internet. My plan is to get kind of a Zotac mini pc build. In my current build i have a i3 3350p and, if it is worth, it would be nice to reuse. I also have 6GB of DDR3 memory and that would be also awesome to reuse, altought i might consider buying new ones.

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, FPS, game settings)

No gaming at all.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

200-300€

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

Portugal/Spain

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). Consider formatting your parts list. Don't ask to be spoonfed a build (read the rules!).

As i said before i have a i5 3350p and 6GB of RAM (DDR3) but i don't mind selling my pre-built pc to get more money for the new build as i know that getting a mobo for such small pc for my CPU will be hard (atleast i guess it will be).

Provide any additional details you wish below.

I consider building one of these Mini Pc builds that i can hold on my hand so i can unplug it to plug it to my tv on the living room. I could also consider a Mini ITX build i just need ideias from you guys.

20. YubiBotter

Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB solid state drive 2,5 Zoll: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör
    This is the only reasonable one I could find, though for whatever reason many of the reputable brands don't seem to make 64GB drives anymore, I'm assuming that's because capacities have increased quite a lot for SSDs.

Whether you want to spend a little more for it is up to you ;P But I know the performance increase from a 6700k -> 7700k is pretty sad.

Straight from the get-go I'm pretty sure you can't buy motherboards for that particular system.
    They're proprietary designs and they're not a standard form factor which means there simply won't be another motherboard for them.

Just to clarify, I assume you mean these:
    Mini PC | M series | ZOTAC

Savior likes this.