1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RS3 Make scripts we actually need!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bot Requests' started by Jesse, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Infinite Inferno

Infinite Inferno The Pip Collector

Not really, it just clogs bot-store space

2. Aidden

Aidden Author of MaxiBots

There's absolutely nothing wrong with competition. To be honest i wouldn't give two shits if there were 50 of the same bot in the store. BUT i think the important hidden message in here is that we're lacking in certain areas and those bots should be taken care of BEFORE everyone goes off making duplicates of existing bots.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 16, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 16, 2015 ---
    Bot store space is nothing.

3. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

IMO competition is great. Improves the quality of scripts bots because of competitive script bot writing. Also, space as in large files? I don't understand how notepad files can take up a lot of space.

Not being able to write the scripts bots people want to seems rather idiotic to me.

4. Philosobyte

I feel like no one reads my posts.

5. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Your argument is valid, and I agree. But removing the ability for scriptwriters to upload what they've created and want to share with the community seems foolish to me. Also why would you force scriptwriters to make something they don't want to?

6. Philosobyte

No, we're not forcing bot authors to make something they don't want to. We're asking with curiosity why in the world do they want to write something that's already written (well)?

Infinite Inferno likes this.
  7. Fontkodo

I'm going to apply trends which happen with technology to RuneMate bots here. People create new things when they feel as though what is currently there does not suffice their needs, in my case I wrote a divination bot because the current one didn't support a few key things which I needed. In particular, I noticed some weird behaviors and the dev said that EoC wasn't supported so I started my own bot. I think that most of the div bots have been in development for a while and they were all just released under the guise that there was only 1 in the first place.

Derk likes this.
  8. Savior

Savior Java Warlord

I currently can't think of one I have written that does not surpass other scripts bots by their features. But I get your point

9. Derk

Derk 12 year old normie

Showing off their own work? Also not a single script bot is the same and will provide unique functions the other one doesn't have. It's a matter of personal preference.

Yes, I do support the creation of more unique scripts bots that do not exist yet but we also have to enable scriptwriters to not have a monopoly on a certain script bot and possibly let it turn to shit. There's not a real negative argument as of why you shouldn't let people write similar (but different) scripts bots.

10. Defeat3d

Defeat3d Primate

I don't personally have a problem with extra competition. The only thing I'm worried about is the community's need, which is diversity. I completely understand why people would write their own version of an existing bot (and if you write it, you might as well publish it), but I do think we've reached a point here where we should really look more into what other people want. I get PMs daily with requests for bots that aren't available in the store, and easily achievable for the average bot writer here.

If you're referring to my new Runespan bot with "NOT RUNECRAFTING", it was one of those bots that was requested quite a bit. People wanted a well working Runespan bot that did more than the average one (island hopping, floor changing, runesphere), so I took the advice, even though there are already 2 Runespan bots out there, I didn't know how well they function and users didn't seem satisfied with them.

tl;dr:
    Start working on cool original stuff people, if you think you can't make it, ask the dev chat for help. I'm sure not just me, but also many other are willing to help you (I won't spoonfeed you though).

11. Eagles13

Eagles13 The only thing Alpha about me is my bots

Okay, I made a fletcher but I can't update yet :( cause the rest of my bots aren't ready, and all the bots rely on my new API, and if I update the API and not the bots, shit won't work because the current bots rely on the old API.

neck likes this.
  12. Infinite Inferno

Infinite Inferno The Pip Collector

THANK YOU! Someone who understands.
    NO, space as in the bot store space with like 5 freaking scripts bots of the same kind showing up, and no diversity. You are missing the entire point, no where did i say they shouldn't write their own bots. I said that there shouldn't be 5 freaking divination bots on the store just because you don't think one of them works properly and rather than reporting the bug, say, "Fuck this, i'm going to upload my own".

13. Arbiter

Arbiter Mod Automation

There are likely a few simple explanations for this trend:

1) Divination is RS's newest skill, so the average level is low and intrigue is high.
    2) Programmers often enjoy writing their own software for undetectability and customization's sake even if it is re-inventing the wheel a little.
    3) With arguably our best Divination bot going premium, Bot Authors wouldn't want to pay for something the can build themselves.
    4) As with any community, there is fame and glory to be had by offering free alternatives to the masses.

Will we ever discourage competition here at RuneMate? No.
    Will we encourage diversity? Yes.

#33 Arbiter, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Qosmiof2, neck and Lad like this.
  14. SlashnHax

I've got plans for a fletcher soon, and I already have a working private firemaker but there's no way I'm going to put aside personal projects (both real life, cause we have those too ya know, and RuneMate) when the way I get approached about it seems to be a complaining post.

15. sothatsit

You spelled "we" wrong. :p

16. Aidden

Aidden Author of MaxiBots

17. Jesse

@Defeat3d to save the day

18. EvilCabbage

Gimme dat Firemaking bot fgt.

I get your point. There is no fun in working hard for a bunch of ungrateful complainers.

Seriously though, give me that Firemaking bot.

19. Insomniac

There should be a greater variety when it comes to bots. However, keep in mind that the bot authors need to keep their bots updated, and if they lack the motivation to do so (like forcing them to work on projects they don't want to), then the quality is going to suck. As a result of that, a vicious circle of complaints will occur.

Tl;dr: be a m8 and make new intriguing bots pls:)

Qosmiof2 likes this.
  20. Lad

Lad

If the bot doesn't work, it will be removed.